Thread: Hairston latest name to surface in steroids report

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Rangers Hairston latest name to surface in steroids report

Texas Rangers infielder Jerry Hairston Jr.'s name surfaced Friday and a ninth person was arrested in a widespread steroids investigation out of upstate New York.

Hairston got a prescription for human growth hormone in May 2004 from a doctor jailed in the case, SI.com reported, citing a law enforcement document its reporters saw. The drugs were sent from Applied Pharmacy Services in Mobile, Ala., whose owners reportedly have been indicted by an Albany County (N.Y.) grand jury.

"I have never taken steroids or anything like that," Hairston said in Surprise, Ariz. "For proof, just look at me. My body has not changed since I came into the league in 1998. Why people keep saying I've done this is beyond me, just amazing. That's not my game. My game is preparing hard for spring training and for each game. I work out in the offseason, work out during the season, and I take baseball very seriously.

"I would never disrespect myself, my family, the game, or the Rangers. I worked so hard to get here, and I still hear the same thing. It's sad."

Los Angeles Angels outfielder Gary Matthews Jr., former baseball star Jose Canseco and former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield also were on Applied Pharmacy's customer list, according to the Times Union of Albany, which first disclosed the investigation.

SI.com said drugs were sent to addresses in Arizona and Maryland that were traced to Hairston, but it didn't give further details. SI.com did not say whether Hairston received any drugs, and it pointed out there are no allegations Hairston used performance-enhancing drugs.

"No matter what I say, people assume I'm guilty," Hairston said. "That hurts me tremendously, I just don't know. Just unbelievable. ...

"I have tested every year. I've tested in the offseason, tested in spring training, tested during the season, and never tested positive -- and never will. I guess I've been tested 10 to 15 times and each time, the result is the same. Plus, the testing is random. If you don't show up, you automatically test positive. That's never happened to me."

Illicit steroid distribution networks, which might be responsible for Internet sales of performance-enhancing drugs nationwide, have been targeted by prosecutors in upstate New York. Two pharmacies in Orlando, Fla., were raided Tuesday, and nine people in three states already have been arrested. As many as 24 could face felony charges when the investigation is complete.

On Friday, Claire Denise Godfrey, a doctor at an anti-aging clinic in Orlando, was ordered held without bond, one day after she was arrested. Seminole County Judge Carmine Bravo said New York authorities have a week to get Godfrey, or he will consider releasing her on bond.

It was not clear exactly what Godfrey is accused of. The Albany probe involves sealed indictments, and prosecutors did not immediately return telephone messages for comment.

Godfrey's name was mentioned in an indictment filed two weeks ago in a federal case charging the owner of a New Jersey pharmaceutical company with health care fraud, conspiracy and illegal drug distribution. The documents say Godfrey received a $2,350 payment in August from the pharmacy owner.
    Very interesting...another one of those players I would never associate with steroids. I think we need much more information to judge this whole new steroid ring controversy though.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    I agree. Definately not somebody you would think would be using steroids. His numbers, and status as a utility player, sure haven't shown that. I'm really not even sure what to think of this whole new steroid controversy.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000