MLB.com: How do you think you will feel on Opening Day and managing your first Major League game?

Washington: I'm going to feel exactly like I felt every Opening Day as a player: butterflies, antsy, anxiety. Not from fright but just from wanting to get it on. After I put on my first sign and we execute, I'm going to be relaxed and back in the drivers' seat.

MLB.com: What's in store for the Rangers this season?

Washington: I think this team is going to surprise a lot of people. We're going to learn how to battle to the end. I think we're going to be there for each other. We're going to learn how to win some close ballgames. I think we're going to understand that blowing people out is not what's going to make us successful but we're going to have to pitch, we're going to have to catch the ball and no matter how many runs we score, we're going to have to make it stand up. That's the crux of it right there and if we do that, we're going to be successful.

MLB.com: Great but everybody really wants to know if the Rangers have enough pitching. Do you?

Washington: Yes we do, without a doubt. And that's the one thing that I came in here trying to get these guys to understand and believe. They are just as good as any pitching staff I've ever been on. The only thing I see is a lot of pitching around the strike zone rather than pitching in the strike zone.

They are beginning to figure out if you just throw the ball over the plate and put the ball in play, the defense behind you will make plays, the innings will be crisper and you can get them on the field, out of the dugout, back off the field and into the dugout and things will happen. I'll go to war with this pitching staff over any pitching staff.

MLB.com: You are a big believer in defense. How do you evaluate the defensive team you are putting out on the field?

Washington: If we have a weakness it might be athleticism in the outfield. We're solid in the infield and we're solid behind the plate with Gerald Laird. He's made great strides and he's getting better every day. We just don't have a lot of athleticism in the outfield but that's where our defensive positioning will show up.

We have to move them where we think they're hitting the ball most of the time and hope that we get to balls that are hit into the alley most of the time. I think they're smart enough just to get to the ball and get it back to the cutoff man. We may not have the athleticism that they may have had here in the past or other teams may have had, they're professionals. All I want is for them to give me what they've got. If I get what they've got, I'm satisfied.

MLB.com: What do you expect from Sammy Sosa?

Washington: I expect Sammy to be No. 1, be a teammate. No. 2, let the game come to him. Don't try to go out there and get the game. Visualize what you were the last time you played the game and just be what you are right now. If he does that, his numbers will justify him being here. I'm not looking for 30 home runs and 100-something RBI but I think he's capable of popping 25 home runs and driving in 75-80 runs. If he does that, I'll be satisfied.

MLB.com: What do you expect from Eric Gagne?

Washington: I expect him to save my ballgames at the end. His health will determine a lot but right now what he's gone through, he's shown he's healthy. The adrenaline isn't flowing the way it will. We've got to make sure he controls his effort out there and we control his effort, doing what he can do and staying within the realm of what he can do. He's got the stuff and we've got the support for him in case he can't go back-to-back. I'm pleased with what I'm seeing and I can't wait to hand him the ball in the ninth inning.

MLB.com: One thing we don't know about you is how you will be with umpires. How will you handle that part of the game?

Washington: I'm going to try and be professional. If I see something that I don't like I'm going to let them know. I'm definitely going to try and stay in ballgames. I'm not going to be one that tries to get thrown out of ballgames.

If I go, I'm going to go. I think I have a lot of respect for them for all the years I have in the game. I'm a competitor and I'm going to compete. If they cause me to compete loud, I'm going to compete loud. If they cause me to compete low, I'm going to compete low. If they cause me to run on the field, I'm going to run on the field.
I'm going to do what I have to do but I'm not going to try and embarrass anybody. I'm going to give them their respect but in turn I want their respect too."