Thread: Rangers giving Corkin' Sammy a sniff?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rangers giving Corkin' Sammy a sniff?

Maybe a scratch 'n' sniff try out?
    ARLINGTON, Texas -- Sammy Sosa worked out again Monday for the Texas Rangers, the team he began his career with, before meeting general manager Jon Daniels and other club officials.

"The workouts and subsequent conversations have been positive. He seems committed to proving himself again -- made it clear he wants to contribute to a winning environment," Daniels wrote in an e-mail late Monday night. "We had good baseball discussion about our club, where he's at in his career, and whether there's a fit."

Daniels said Sosa, who hasn't played in the major leagues since 2005, had previously worked out for the Rangers in the Dominican Republic. The latest workout was at Ameriquest Field, and Sosa left town after having dinner with Daniels.

There was no indication from Daniels on whether the Rangers made any kind of offer to Sosa.

In 2005, Sosa hit .221 with 14 home runs and 45 RBIs in 102 games during his only season with the Baltimore Orioles.

The 38-year-old former slugger started training last month at home in the Dominican Republic in hopes of returning to the majors. He said then that he had received calls from teams interested in signing him, but declined to reveal which ones.

"Sammy has relationships with several people in the organization dating back to the 80's, including Rudy [Jaramillo, the team's hitting coach] and some of our scouts in the Dominican, which have allowed us a little insight into what he's been up to," Daniels said.

During 17 seasons with the Rangers (1989), Chicago White Sox (1989-91), Chicago Cubs (1992-2004) and Baltimore (2005), Sosa is a .274 career hitter with 588 home runs and 1,575 RBIs. He ranks fifth on the career home run list, and he hit more than 60 homers in a season three times.

Sosa was the NL MVP in 1998, when he batted .308 with 66 homers and 158 RBIs for the Cubs.

The Rangers signed Sosa at age 16 in July 1985. He made his big league debut in 1989 for Texas, hitting .238 with one homer and three RBIs in 25 games before he was traded to the White Sox, where he stayed until he was traded to the Cubs in the spring of 1992.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    That would certainly be interesting if the '07 Ranger lineup featured Sammy Sosa. I doubt much will come of this and if he does sign I don't expect much out of him. Although if they do sign him, a Frank Thomas type comeback would be nice.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    A source told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that the Rangers will offer Sammy Sosa an incentive-laden minor league deal.
    If Sosa is signed and makes the team, he'd likely start against lefties initially, platooning with Frank Catalanotto at DH. That'd likely bump Jason Botts off the roster, unless Botts could beat out Nelson Cruz for the starting job in right field.
    This guy isn't going to do shit except waste a roster spot and strikeout.

MLB ERA
    With Rudy Jaramillo working on his swing, he may be primed for a decent comeback. If he plays well in the spring, he makes the team and gets a decent salary. If he doesn't play well, he gets cut and only costs the team the per-diem plus a bit of pocket change. Either way, it is worth the gamble, IMO. He could be great or terrible, but deserves a chance to show either.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    IMO, waste of money!!!! too much controversy and distractions in my mind to even have him around an MLB team. I am glad it is NOT the Brewers!!! Even if this deal pans out!!!!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Now I know it's a low-risk situation, but after seeing him play with the Orioles I'm convinced he has nothing left. Maybe he'll prove me wrong...but I highly doubt it.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I just wouldn't take any ABs from Nelson Cruz, the only thing you got out of the Carlos Lee trade!

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    I agree, he was one of the biggest reasons for the Rangers pulling the deal last Julyuy with the Brewers! N. Cruz was one of the highest rated prospects too!!!

MLB ERA
    The deal has now been finalized.
    Sammy will be getting a $500,000 base salary with incentives.
    He is also expected to compete for the DH job and occasionally play the outfield.
    New manager Ron Washington also said he would like Sosa to bat 5th behind Teixeira if he is able to hit MLB pitching.

Could be an interesting spring seeing which young pitchers will round out the rotation and whether or not Sosa can win a starting job.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

PSLJedi31-448th00000

MLB ERA
    Now I will be watching what he will be doing in Spring Training. I might as well watch every game.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Interesting. A guy who hasn't been in baseball in 2 years and is on an offense that's supposed to be one of the best in baseball. Yet Washington wants to bat him 5th? I don't know about that.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Are they just messing with Sammy's head?

MLB ERA
    I don't know, but they're certainly messing with mine.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by browntown653
    Interesting. A guy who hasn't been in baseball in 2 years and is on an offense that's supposed to be one of the best in baseball. Yet Washington wants to bat him 5th? I don't know about that.
    They haven't been one of the best offenses in baseball in a couple of years. I don't think anybody thought they were last year. Certainly they still had a good offense, just not as dominating as in past years. They suffered some heavy blows losing DeRosa, Matthews, and Barajas over the off-season.

PSLJedi31-448th00000