Thread: Zito Considering Rangers

MLB ERA

Zito Considering Rangers

Apparently hiring Washington was all it took for him to consider Texas. I highly doubt the Rangers will get him, but just the fact that he is considering the Rangers is nice to think about.

LINK
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    **** Carlos Lee and sign Zito. You can find a DH anywhere. Bonds is out there

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    They should sign Bonds.
    They should not sign Zito.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    How ass backwards. Please explain why they shouldn't sign the best pitcher available but should sign a 42 yr old.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Just because a player is the "best" at his position on the market, doesn't mean a team should invest an absurd amount of money in him. You think Zito magically puts them ahead of everyone else? One player? Texas finally got over the Park mistake, now they're stuck with Millwood. Would you put that kinda money in two players?

At least Bonds is less likely to want an insane contract, plus that ballpark would be great for him.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Stuck with Millwood? He had a solid season for Texas. He struggled at home the first half of the season but the 2nd half he was as good as anybody pitching in Arlington. Park could never put together a healthy season in Texas. Millwood's first as a Ranger and he turns out a solid 16 win season.

Like I said, I doubt it will happen, but a rotation of Zito/Millwood/Padilla/Eaton would look pretty good.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito
    Just because a player is the "best" at his position on the market, doesn't mean a team should invest an absurd amount of money in him. You think Zito magically puts them ahead of everyone else? One player? Texas finally got over the Park mistake, now they're stuck with Millwood. Would you put that kinda money in two players?

At least Bonds is less likely to want an insane contract, plus that ballpark would be great for him.
    How ****ing laughable!!! This team needs pitching so why not sign the best pitcher out there if he wants to possibly play there? Milwood had a very solid season there. Zito then Milwood gives them a great 1,2 punch in Texas which they haven't had. Bonds is demanding a $10 mil+ contract. Zito gives them a better chance of winning than any other pitcher. Your reasoning is absurd. Zito is far from Park and I can't believe you brought him up talking about Zito. How long have we been talking about Texas needing pitching. Pitching wins. Who in the hell can't find a DH? They are everywhere. Just find any bum who cant hack it in the NL.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    For the Rangers though, is it really worth overpaying for Zito if he's projected to go down in value upon a move to Arlington? A few things to consider, first off last season, he broke his career patern of being a fairly balanced pitcher in terms of home and away splits, heavily favoring pitching away (4.71 ERA at home, 2.97 ERA away). Add in his recent years at Arlington:

NameYearIPERAHitsBBSOHR
    Barry Zito200621.23.741211144

Now I am not really concerned about the ERA or whatnot, the Rangers can hit and some of this will be inflated versus the average AL offense. But with Zito being a flyball pitcher for the most part, it's hard not to notice in 43.4 IP at Arlington, he let eight bombs out of the park. Not the biggest sample size, but based on that, he would be looking to allowing 41 or so homeruns if he pitched the average number of innings he has pitched in his full seasons (222.75.) Again, I am not stating that figure to be accurate given the Rangers offense and the sample size, but it's going to have an impact on his value. And then add in the fact that his peripherals went on the decline despite posting a similar ERA to his 2005 effort (strikeouts were down, hits were up, walks were up).... I just don't think he's the best guy for the Rangers to pursue if they are expecting the Zito of Oakland to come over to Texas with the same results.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Good stuff mission. If I am the Rangers GM and heard that Barry Zito has interest and I have a good chance of signing him then yes I have to throw the money out there. Zito's numbers will inflate there but with a good offense behind him (which he does) then he will be more likely to get more than 16 wins which Millwood got. Zito is also familiar with AL West hitters and he has averaged close to 220 IP each of the past 5 seasons. Texas has long needed pitching so why not get the best available left handed pitcher. Having Millwood and Zito signed for at least four more years together makes for a good half of a rotation. Rangers aren't far off from being real contenders and having a pitcher like Zito will only help, not hurt. Then the Rangers need to go lock up Teixeira and Young. Rangers have mad some bad moves the past few years, Zito would not be one of them.

MLB ERA
    Picking up Barry Zito would be good for the Rangers, as he would be a far better option than any they currently have available to them. Sure his stats in Arlington are a bit inflated, but given a full season of playing there, as a Ranger, I can't help but believe he would improve.
    I'd take him over Bonds any day.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I still think Zito will end up in NYC or LA...maybe SD...NL either way...Dodgers, Mets, Padres.