Thread: Matthews and others file for free agency

MLB ERA

Matthews and others file for free agency

ARLINGTON -- Rangers outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. filed for free agency on Sunday, and the club expects him to test the market rather than seek a deal during its two weeks of exclusive negotiating rights.

Pitcher Adam Eaton, catcher Rod Barajas and utilitymen Mark DeRosa and Eric Young all filed on Saturday. Still to file are pitchers Vicente Padilla and Kip Wells, infielder Jerry Hairston Jr. and outfielder Carlos Lee. General manager Jon Daniels has made a number of offers to the club's own free agents but admitted it's unlikely that the club will reach a quick deal with anybody.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

MLB ERA
    Of that group, I'd say that keeping Matthews, Lee, Padilla and Eaton is very important. Barajas is one of the better catchers available, but do the Rangers actually need him? The can get by with Gerald Laird behind the plate.
    DeRosa and Hairston are nice "spare parts" but they might do better elsewhere.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    I think DeRosa proved he is more than just a spare part last year. The Rangers definately would not have done as good as they did without him. Hairston is a decent utility guy but certainly not a priority. Barajas I'm a little iffy on. He wants to be an everyday starter but he and Laird made a very nice combination behind the plate last year. If he isn't resigned it'll be interesting to see how Laird does in a full season.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I know the Giants are interested in both Matthews and Barajas. Thinking is that Matheny will not be back next season and Barajas/Alfonzo make a good combo. Carlos Lee is a must have or else you gave up Cordero and Mench for nothing.