Thread: Rangers Managerial Search

MLB ERA

Rangers Managerial Search

Leading candidates from inside the organization:
    1) Bench coach Don Wakamatsu. He gained some limited managerial experience during the 2006 season when Showalter was hospitalized and during his supsension. He also has a strong relationship with GM Daniels and the Rangers organization and players.

2) Hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo.

3) Former farm director Trey Hillman. He was also a managerial possibility 4 years ago before the hiring of Buck Showalter.

Leading candidates from outside the organization (in no certain order):
    1) Angels pitching coach Bud Black.

2) Athletics 3rd base coach Ron Washington.

3) Recently fired Marlins manager Joe Girardi.

They do not appear to have interest in Dusty Baker or Lou Piniella. I don't know that much about Piniella as a manager or how he connects with the players, but I am personally happy that the Rangers are not interested in Baker. Especially with some hot young prospect pitchers coming up.

Two other highly unlikely candidates, but candidates nonetheless, are former Twins manager Tom Kelly and former Blue Jays manager Cito Gaston.
    So far Wakamatsu is the leading candidate and is expected to be a very tough candidate to beat out for the job.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

MLB ERA
    According to the Rangers website, hitting coach Ruby Jaramillo has declined to be interviewed for the team's manager position.

"Rudy told me he'd prefer to remain our hitting coach, as that's where his heart is, rather than be considered for the manager position," Daniels said.

Bench coach Don Wakamatsu remains the leading the candidate for the job.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

PSLJedi31-448th00000

MLB ERA
    Wouldn't Joe Torre's name go into the hat now?
    Tom Kelly will likely never manage again. He has had his run and is happy to leave it at that. He seems satisfied with his life as a scout and front-office guy for the Twins.
    Wakamatsu is known by the players and fans of the team. He would be an easy choice to make.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I would agree with you about not wanting Dusty. I heard back in the early part of 2006, he may end up in Seattle. Less media pressure there, just like Dusty wants it! If Torre did end up in Texas, wouldn't that be ironic. Where is Big Buck heading, any rumors, or is he going to take a few years off and work for ESPN again?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    They should hire me.
    So I can offer Zito gold and trade Blalock for Johan Santana after I drug the Minnesota front office. It would only be the beginning..
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    That would be interesting, Zito. The Twins were rumored to be interested in Blalock before the 2005 season, but were not willing to include Liriano in the deal. They could have traded Liriano and Kyle Lohse for Blalock and the Rangers would have been thrilled.
    Back to the managerial search. Would the Rangers ever consider offering such a job to Nolan Ryan? Just a thought.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Considering how strong of a candidate Wakamatsu is, I don't think Torre would get much consideration, if any. I don't know what Ryan is up to these days but I seriously doubt that would happen either.

PSLJedi31-448th00000

MLB ERA
    The Rangers managerial search has been narrowed down to 4 people now.

Bench coach Don Wakamatsu is still the leading candidate.
    The other 3 possibilities are Oakland third base coach Ron Washington, Mets third base coach Manny Acta, and the previously mentioned Trey Hillman.

PSLJedi31-448th00000

MLB ERA
    The Rangers have added former catcher John Russell to the list of candidates for the vacant managerial position. Russell played for the Rangers from 1990-1993 and was behind the plate for Nolan Ryan's 6th no-hitter.

Russell was the International League Manager of the Year for the Phillies Triple-A team in 2006.

The Rangers will also be interviewing A's 3rd base coach Ron Washington for the position on Tuesday.

PSLJedi31-448th00000

MLB ERA
    Will Ken Macha's name come up at all in the discussions of who will replace Buck?
    By the way, is this the same John Russell that managed the Twins' AAA team a couple of years ago? If so, He's a fine one.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by catman
    Will Ken Macha's name come up at all in the discussions of who will replace Buck?
    By the way, is this the same John Russell that managed the Twins' AAA team a couple of years ago? If so, He's a fine one.
    I doubt Macha will come up. Wakamatsu and Hillman seem to be the top candidates and I think I read the Oakland weren't very fond of Macha.

I think you may be right on Russell. The article I read said he had 8 seasons of managerial experience in the Twins organization

PSLJedi31-448th00000

MLB ERA
    The Rangers are going to be interviewing former Texas catcher John Russell today for the vacant managerial position. Mets 3rd base coach Manny Acta is expected to be interviewed in Friday, and Trey Hillman will be interviewed on Saturday. The highly favored candidate Don Wakamatsu is scheduled to be the last person of interest interviewed.

PSLJedi31-448th00000