Thread: The Rangers/Brewers Trade-One Month Later

MLB ERA

The Rangers/Brewers Trade-One Month Later

It's kind of hard to say who has gotten the better end of this deal so far.

On the Brewers side, Kevin Mench has basically been a disappointment batting only .229 since joining the Brewers. He remains mired in his power slump having hit only 1 homerun in 83 AB's with Milwaukee and just 13 RBI. He hit his 1st homerun as a Brewer on July 30th against the Reds and has not homered since.

Laynce Nix has not had much of a chance but has done fairly in what little action he has seen. In 27 AB's Nix has 1 double, 5 RBI and is batting .286. A big improvement over his .118 BA in 32 AB's as a Ranger this year.

Francisco Cordero has been the biggest pickup for the Brewers by far. He has been totally lights out going 1-0 with 10 saves in 10 opportunities and has not allowed a run in 12.2 innings with Milwaukee while striking out 14.

On the Rangers side, Carlos Lee has done a very nice job mostly in the 3 spot for Texas. Despite the power numbers not being there, only 4 homeruns in 134 AB's after hitting 28 homerun in Milwaukee, he is batting .321 with 13 doubles and 26 runs scored in 33 games.

Nelson Cruz has also showed a bit of potential hitting 2 homeruns with 7 RBI in 36 AB's with Texas, although he is only hitting .139 and has struck out 13 times.

Both teams have gotten 1 big producer out of the deal and both teams are also basically out of the playoff race. I still maintain that if the Rangers can resign Carlos Lee they will have gotten the better end of the deal, but the Brewers still have a lot of untapped potential in Mench and Nix. Unfortunately the change of scenery doesn't seem to have helped Mench any.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I totally agree with your post. IMO, Yost has not done a good job keeping a consistent lineup out there. He claims to play the outfielder with a hot bat. Well, he doesn't give any of his "6" outfielders a chance to prove themselves. I feel he is the biggest reason why the Brewers have collapsed in their last 8 games. He managerial ability is out there right.. I understand the fact that the Brewers probably arer 1-2 years away still, but the valuable experience the club could have gained being in the hunt would pay dividens in the future when the expectations are going to be even GREATER!!!!

I am a very frustrated, disgruntled, and becoming very impatient fan... It is time for the Brewers to quit being doormats and do somthing positive, like spend some of their money and compete for some high quality free agent(s) or acquire some high profile player(s) through a trade!!!!!! Not using CoCo in this past week or so is just ridiculous and uncalled for! There were games he could have pitched to hold the opponent at bay even though the scored was tied. (i.e.-Just like Torre uses Rivera!!!!!!!!!!!)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    I am a very frustrated, disgruntled, and becoming very impatient fan... It is time for the Brewers to quit being doormats and do somthing positive, like spend some of their money and compete for some high quality free agent(s) or acquire some high profile player(s) through a trade!!!!!!!!
    That's what the Rangers did this off-season. A huge signing in Millwood, trading away Soriano, Dellucci, and a few others for basically Wilkerson and Aki. It hasn't helped. Texas is 10 games out of the division lead and probably more out of the wild card. As good as Lee has been, he hasn't been the offensive catalist we were hoping for. Not like it would have mattered. Nobody can stop the A's.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

The A's and the Astros are always slow out of the gate. But one guarentee in the past several years hs been "watch out" for those two teams. They never seem to panic and always seem to get things together when it counts. Unlike the Brewers, who always seem to do the opposite.. Fast out of the gate and slow to the finish.. I have always admired the job Billy Beane has done with the A's. Considering they are recognized as a small market team and they are always right there in the end!

So, yes it can be done and teams like the Brewers, Royals, and Pirates, etc. just have NOT figureed this out yet!!! It all starts with the overall attitude and mentallity of the organization. You hear A's as a player, you hear, hey I would have a shot at the playoffs. You hear Brewers and see above with the other teams, you hear, loosing and long season, why go there!!!!

Example, Frank Thomas!!! He knew he doesn't have much left in the tank, but he went somewhere to try and help and team that had a ligit shot at post-season!!!!

Brewers and others see Billy Beane and the A's... winning with little $$$$!!!!!!!!!