04/01/2005 10:30 PM ET
Notes: Roster spot for Gonzalez?
Injury to Colbrunn leaves room for another bat
By Jesse Sanchez / MLB.com

After Friday's game, Adrian Gonzalez was hitting .382 with 20 RBIs. (Brian Bahr/Getty Images)
Related Links

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Ideally, the Rangers hoped David Dellucci would serve as the club's left-handed hitting designated hitter while Greg Colbrunn would do the same from the right side of the batter's box, in addition to providing depth at the corner infield positions.
Realistically, Colbrunn is likely headed to the disabled list because of a sore wrist. That gives Adrian Gonzalez a good chance of making the team, which would give the Rangers two left-handed hitting designated hitters.

"Tomorrow, we'll make the call," Rangers general manager John Hart said. "Obviously, we love Adrian and he's doing a great job for us. We'll wait and see what transpires between now and then. It's going to be [manager] Buck [Showalter's] call."

This spring, Gonzalez is hitting .382 with two home runs and 20 RBIs in 27 games. On Friday against the Rockies at Isotopes Park, he went 3-for-4 with two RBIs.

"I have just been having fun and enjoying it, trying to put together good at-bats and swing at good pitches," Gonzalez said. "I've had a good spring so far. I think I am ready, but it is not my decision and I'll respect whatever decision they make."

Last season, Gonzalez hit better against left-handed hitters (.319 average) than right-handed pitchers (.298) at Triple-A Oklahoma, a fact that works in his favor. The club is optimistic he can have a similar success on the Major League level whenever he joins the big league squad, but there naturally exists some degree of the unknown. Gonzalez hit just .238 in 16 games with the Rangers in 2004. Facing minor league left-handed pitching is not the same as facing big league left-handed pitching, either.

Moreover, the Rangers are concerned about having two left-handed hitters on the bench. The club could add right-handed hitter Chad Allen to the 25-man roster, but it would have to create a spot for him on the 40-man roster. The Rangers already have to create a spot for infielder Mark DeRosa, who made the team Thursday.

The ailing Colbrunn is not a candidate to be taken off the 40-man roster, partly because of his history of success and partly because his injured wrist has left the Rangers unable to evaluate him properly.

"Of course, if we do go with Adrian, something everybody knows we are strongly considering, the only issue is that there is not a right-handed guy to protect him," Hart said. "It's going to force one of our left-handed hitters to be a little bit naked. We are a little unbalanced off the bench if that's the case."

The Rangers have not ruled out bringing in a right-handed hitter from outside of the organization, but Hart said such an acquisition was unlikely.

"Let me put it this way: There are not a lot of frontline big bats out there at this time," Hart said.

Gonzalez hit .304 with 12 home runs and 88 RBIs in 457 at-bats for the RedHawks last season, and has a career batting average of .289 with 51 home runs in 2,152 minor league at-bats. The Rangers believe if Gonzalez does make the club as a designated hitter, it will not have an adverse affect on his development as an all-around Major League first baseman.

The club's confidence in his defensive ability is important, considering what could be minimal playing time at first. Last season, incumbent first baseman Mark Teixeira, the Silver Slugger award winner, played in 145 games. This came on the heels of a 146-game season in 2003, when he took over the job from Rafael Palmeiro. Teixeira has steadily grown more comfortable at the position and has grown weary of the endless speculation about a possible move to the outfield.

"[Gonzalez is] already a double-plus first baseman and that's not an issue," Hart said. "The question is that it is difficult for a young player to break in the big leagues in that DH role, especially without protection. That's the struggle there."

"Adrian is strong and mentally tough," Hart continued. "He has a lot of confidence in himself, and I don't worry about what-ifs if he does make the team. We know it's a tough spot to put a young guy in, especially without a lot of protection, but there is also the thought that when you have a good player, you try to do all the right things you can. When opportunity knocks, sometimes it's not the perfect scenario. But again, we are not there yet."

News and features:
• Rangers notes: Roster spot for Gonzalez?
• Rangers' 10-run frame sinks Rockies
• Rangers notes: Team inks deal with DeRosa

Multimedia:
• Assistant GM Jon Daniels
• Victor Rojas from Rangers camp
• Brian McRae reports from Rangers camp

Info: Schedule | Ballpark | Tickets
MLB.com's complete coverage

Rogers rolls: Rangers starter Kenny Rogers allowed six hits and two runs in five innings against the Rockies on Friday. He did not walk a batter and struck out two.

"Kenny was being Kenny," Showalter said. "I've said many times that he comes in and he knows what it takes to get ready. I trust him and I think he is getting ready to pitch well and give us a chance to win."

Rogers is scheduled to pitch the second game of the season against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on April 6 and in the club's home opener on April 11, also against the Angels.

He said it! "It's not a perfect club, but there are a lot of good things that are going on. That's why we play the games. I like the players and I like the makeup of the guys and how we are going to do it. Obviously, I have great confidence in my manager and my coaches and the job they can do. Let's see how it plays out." -- Hart

Around the horn: In addition to Gonzalez, the Rangers are also pondering the final two available spots in the bullpen. Brian Shouse, Nick Regilio, R.A. ****ey, Erasmo Ramirez and Vladimir Nunez are all candidates. Ramirez was sent back to Phoenix because of discomfort on the middle finger on his pitching hand and is a candidate for the disabled list. Nunez faces an extra challenge because he is not on the 40-man roster. ... The Rangers will fly to San Francisco following Saturday's game against the Diamondbacks in Albuquerque for an exhibition game against the Giants at SBC Park. The club will head immediately to Anaheim following the contest. ... The Rangers will broadcast the weekend games on Fox Sports Net. KRLD will broadcast Sunday's game on the radio. ... The club has 35 players on this trip and 37 players on the Spring Training roster, including six non-roster players.

Coming up: The Rangers wrap up the trip in Albuquerque on Saturday against the Diamondbacks with Chris Young (1-2, 3.86 ERA ) on the mound at Isotopes Park. Shawn Estes (0-4, 6.00) is scheduled to take the mound for Arizona.