Thread: Texas Going To Make A Major Deal?

AAA ERA

Rangers Texas Going To Make A Major Deal?

Texas Could Pull The Trigger On Major Deal

With the Rangers having the resources to make one big trade, Morning News writer Evan Grant thinks pitchers Jason Schmidt or Dontrelle Willis are a possibility, as are position players Torii Hunter or Mike Sweeney.
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7...uthbertrc1.jpg
    Im not the Genius that traded for Brandon McCarthy. And my name is certainly not John Gibbons...

AAA ERA
    Hmm....a trade like this would certainly probably pull the Rangers away from the rest of the West. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    A trade like this would go a long way to try and keep Texas in the race after the ASG because their recent history has shown that they fade in the 2nd half...I think they need the pitching more than the offense (unless someone were to get injured). The A's are getting players back (Harden is starting Sunday, Loaiza Thursday, Witasick should be back Monday or so, Bradley is coming back Tuesday) and will turn it on like they always do in the 2nd half. IMHO, a trade for Schmidt or Willis would keep them in it longer and give them a chance, but it's probably going to cost them some prospects including at least one pitcher.

MLB ERA
    So the question is, are you guys willing to give up your top specs (including pitchers) to get a Schmidt or a Willis?

MLB ERA
    For Schmidt I would say no. An almost definate yes for D-Train though. Willis is a lot younger, only like 24 or something, has good control, doesn't give up many homeruns, and went 22-10 with a 2.63 ERA, 7 CG's, and 5 shutouts last year. He's not doing so hot this year but you have to think he'll turn it around.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Edison Volquez or John Danks would have to be a major part of a deal for Willis.

With Jason Schmidt, he is only a one year rental. I believe his contract expires after this season, and at age 33, I don't know if the Rangers would be interested in re-signing him. The Giants can win the division, considering both west divisions are weak, and would likely expect at least Diamond or Danks for Schmidt, which, for his injury history, impending free agency, and loss in velocity over the past 1.5 years, I am hesitant to give.

As for Willis, I think it would take both Diamond and Danks to get a deal done. Willis will be signed cheaply for the next 2 seasons, and is a left hander. In Arlington, it benefits to be a power pitcher, so that will help Willis even more. The question is, do they risk trading away two great prospects for Willis, a pitcher who has bad mechanics?

Personally, the big mistake here was trading away Young and Gonzalez for Eaton and Otsuki. Eaton had injury risks coming in, so it was buyer beware. Last year, for the last two months, he was really only pitching his fastball and changeup, and talk was the Padres thought of converting him to a reliever. Young was a pitcher who had success pitching in Arlington, and with Millwood having his best games away from Arlington, Showalter could plan on having Millwood pitch big games on the road, and give Young the big games at home.

MLB ERA
    I couldn't agree more on the Young/Gonzalez for Eaton/Otsuka deal. Otsuka has turned out to be a great addition for Texas but obviously Eaton has done nothing and Young is better than Eaton anyway, was signed to a very cheap contract, and had already had success in Texas. I thought it was a bad deal even before Eaton got injured. If they hadn't made that trade, the 5 spot in the rotation wouldn't have been the revolving door that it has so far.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

MLB ERA
    I agree...at the time of the deal I was saying the same thing (that it was not a good deal for the Rangers). Really, the only reason Otsuka has been as important as he has been now is because he is closing...he wasn't supposed to be the closer.