Thread: Cordero Demoted

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cordero Demoted

Francisco Cordero will receive "a break from closing," manager Buck Showalter said Thursday. Akinori Otsuka is expected to replace him in save situations.
    It's very likely just a temporary demotion for Cordero, who has blown five of his eight save chances. His velocity is fine and his slider still has plenty of bite, so it's likely that he'll get things turned around soon. He's a fine buy-low candidate at the moment.
    Tough break but very necessary. Buck had to do something as this guy is blowing games against teams in his own divison.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    good start. now there's that other AL West closer who needs to get the **** out of there.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Eddie MOTHER****ING Guarado.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    I hate to say it because I like Cordero as much as anybody but, a chance definately had to be made. If Cordero had been as lights out as he was in '04 he would probably 6 or 7 saves right now instead of just 3. I hope Otsuka can get the job done, but then again, it doesn't take much to beat a 37.5% success rate and an 11.70 ERA.

Also, Otsuka has pitched pretty well so far this year giving up 3 runs on 10 hits and striking out 11 in 10 innings of work.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    going with the hot hand I bet...as soon as Otsuka falters and Cordero is doing well, they'll switch again.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    going with the hot hand I bet...as soon as Otsuka falters and Cordero is doing well, they'll switch again.
    As they should. As far as I am concerned, it's just a temporary demotion so Coco can try and get things sorted out, then he'll be back in the closer role. At least that's what I hope will happen. I wanted to see him challenge Wetteland's Ranger record of 150 saves.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

MLB ERA
    He's on my fantasy team.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    he was on one of mine...I dropped him. I've only got one true closer, but we get holds and I have some of the best there that also get garbage wins and garbage saves. I lead in holds. I've got Scot Shields, Joe Kennedy, Kiko Calero, Juan Rincon, Mike Timlin, and now Dan Wheeler (who actually went to the same University I did and played high school ball 4 miles from where I live).

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by A'sDiehard
    He's on my fantasy team.
    Ouch.