Thread: Young is fed up with the Rays

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Young is fed up with the Rays

Top prospect already fed up with Rays
    Delmon Young says he won't forget the failure to promote him when it's time to test the market.

By MARC TOPKIN, Times Staff Writer
    Published September 13, 2005

ST. PETERSBURG - Top prospect Delmon Young blasted the Devil Rays on Monday for being cheap and inconsiderate and said the decision to not promote him to the majors will have lasting effects on his future in the organization.

Young, who was named Baseball America 's 2005 minor-league player of the year, said he will not cooperate with Rays officials when he gets to the majors and plans to leave the team as soon as he becomes eligible for free agency, even though it will be no sooner than 2013.

"They can run the business one way - well, not actually run the business because the business ain't doing too well - they can do it one way, we can do it that way, too. When they want something from us, they can go through a long wait like we do," Young said.

"As soon as I get my time in up there I'll bounce out of there. There's no reason to stay around for the long haul. Get your six years and leave."

Young said that Rays officials, several of whom were in Durham during the final month of the minor-league season, did not have the "common courtesy" to tell him of their plans or reasons and that general manager Chuck LaMar has not returned repeated calls from his agent, Arn Tellum.

"No one's told me anything," Young said on a conference call to discuss the Baseball America award. "The only reason I knew I wasn't getting called up was that I read newspaper articles online."

But Young, who turns 20 on Wednesday, said he had a pretty good idea why he wasn't promoted after a spectacular second pro season in which he hit .315 with 26 homers, 99 RBIs and 32 steals in 136 games between Double-A Montgomery and Triple-A Durham.

"The only thing I can think of is them being cheap," Young said. "Why not call up guys when you're 50 games out of first place and you're not going to the playoffs? ... They're so worried about saving dollars and cents, and they can't compete with no one."

If the Rays were to call up Young, or other top prospects such as B.J. Upton and Jason Hammel, they would accelerate their eligibility for salary arbitration, which can lead to huge raises, and for free agency.

Some think that for a small-market organization building toward the future, it is smart business practice to not call up young players so it can keep them, and keep them affordable, for a longer time.
    Click here for the rest

MLB ERA
    If Young is upset at common league practice, perhaps he ought not be part of the league.

Things like this happen all the time; nobody gets upset, or at least, nobody says they are upset. This is a bad move on his part.

If Upton said it, I wouldn't have a problem.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Here's a thought, trade him for some REAL pitching.