Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rays 2011 off-season......

Rookie ERA

Rays 2011 off-season......

........has officially started with some house cleaning to make room for the class of 2011 draftees.

The Rays released 18 Minor Leaguers on Friday. The players who were released included:
    Right-handers Andy Bass, Brooks Beltre, Omar Bencomo, Micky Jannis, Dave Laufer, Ryan Turner and Tanner Biagini; left-handers Shawn Smith and Mike Jarman; outfielders Dustin Biell, Brian Bryles, Edward Dorville, Reid Fronk, Cesar Guillen, and Chris Winder; infielders Jonathan Koscso and Ryan Terry and first baseman Hector Rodriguez.

As usual tons of question marks and the possibility that very little will actually change as far as the formula, payroll and style of the team and mostly attendance.

Will Upton be traded?
    Will they re-sign Kotchman, Farmsworth or Damon?
    Will Howell given more chance to come back from his surgery?
    Will the starting rotation remain in tact or will there be 1 or even 2 slots changing.

Rookie ERA

Re: Rays 2011 off-season......

Rays Director of Baseball Operations Dan Feinstein is heading back to the A’s as director of professional scouting/baseball development. He has been Friedman’s assistant in all aspects of the TB’s operations.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't know why but I would love to see Thome DH for the Rays.

Rookie ERA

I wouldn't mind seeing Damon back, but now you're pulling at my heart strings. I've wanted Thome for years.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I just like Thome as a good fit. He still gets on base, hits for power and is affordable. Rays can find a RH DH option to split time with Thome.

Rookie ERA

James Shields was on local station WDAE yesterday speaking optimistic that he will be back next season.

The team has a $7.5 M option with a $2 M buyout.

I listened to the pod cast and he stated "I believe I'm going to be back next year, and I think Friedman feels the same way," Obviously there's a lot of off-season to go. As far as my opinion, I believe I'm going to be back. But it's a business and you never know what's going to happen. As far as I'm concerned, I want to be back, I definitely want to be part of the team."

He also fielded questions from fans on the phone.

James has collaborated on a book with Bill Chastain called SEPTEMBER NIGHTS: Hunting the Beasts of the American League East .

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't think Shields will be back. Matt Moore is ready and Shields can net a good package of players if traded. Tons of teams would be in on him and would be a bidding war. I think the time is now to trade Shields while his stock is at it's highest.

Rookie ERA

Johnny Damon, Casey Kotchman and Juan Cruz became free agents at midnight.

The Rays have until midnight Monday to pick up/ buy out the options on James Shields ($7.5 million), Kyle Farnsworth ($3.3 million) and Kelly Shoppach ($3.2 million).

Here’s a break down from ST Pete Times staff writer Joe Smith:

Shields: This one would seem like the no-brainer of the three. The 29-year-old is coming off a remarkable bounceback season in which he made his first All-Star team, racked up a major-league-high 11 complete games and set career highs in wins (16), strikeouts (225) and innings (249⅓). While his option could escalate to $8 million based on his finish in the AL Cy Young voting, it'd still be a reasonable deal for a front-line starter and staff leader who has been one of the most durable pitchers in baseball (five straight seasons of 200-plus innings).

Shields wants to be back and believes he will.

Said agent Page Odle: "Nothing has been said to Jamey or myself to indicate that he won't be coming back for next year."

Farnsworth: It would seem as though the team is likely to pick up his option (rather than pay a $650,000 buyout). He exceeded expectations in his first full year in the closer's role, racking up a career-high 25 saves (after having 27 in his first 12 seasons), including five of four or more outs. Quality closers aren't cheap, and executive VP Andrew Friedman spoke at the end-of-the-year news conference as if the 35-year-old would be back. The only question remains whether the right elbow issue that put him out a couple of weeks in September is a concern.
    Shoppach: He would be the first to tell you he had a disappointing year offensively, hitting .176, including .241 against left-handers. While the Rays could choose to buy out his option for $300,000, the 31-year-old veteran catcher has said he'd still be open to coming back. It's what he did behind the plate that could draw similar interest from Tampa Bay.

Shoppach caught 15 of 41 attempted basestealers (36.6 percent), best in the American League, and works well with the pitching staff. The team wanted to give rookie C Jose Lobaton a long look, and he didn't hit (.118), though he was hampered by injuries. If the team doesn't deem Lobaton or fellow rookie C Robinson Chirinos ready, Shoppach could be another option.

Ryan Ware, Shoppach's agent, said the catcher enjoyed his time with the Rays and is "not closing any doors," even if the club option isn't picked up.

Rumblings:
    With the Angels hiring Jerry DiPoto as their general manager, the speculation about Friedman going elsewhere should quiet down (at least, for now); Friedman had met with the Angels and was reportedly their top choice. Angels manager Mike Scioscia spoke with Rays manager Joe Maddon and Padres manager Bud Black regarding the GM spot, according to ESPNLosAngeles.com, but neither was interested. ……. From the comments Maddon made to Boston's WEEI.com last week, he's staying put. "At this point in my life, there's no other place I would rather be than the Tampa Bay Rays," he told the station. "I mean that sincerely. Ownership. Front office. Players. Coaching staff. I cannot ask for a better situation."…

While the coaches' contracts are up Monday, the staff is expected to remain the same, with the exception of a possible change at bullpen coach (Bobby Ramos missed a huge part of the year due to illness, assistant to the pitching coach Stan Boroski could step in).

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

David Price opted out of the final year of his contract and will apply for arbitration.
    Price signed a six-year, $8.5 million deal in 2007 and was set to make $2.433 million in 2012. Instead, he will use an opt out and look for a raise via arbitration, made possible because he qualified for Super Two arbitration status. Price, 26, posted a 3.49 ERA and 1.14 WHIP in 224 1/3 innings this season, striking out 218 batters and walking only 63. The Rays have a history of extending contracts to key young players, including recent extensions of Evan Longoria and James Shields. Given Price's rank within the organization the same type of deal may be forthcoming, though the team could wait until next season.
    I think this raise Price is about to get all but ensures Shields departure.

Rookie ERA

Both Shields and Farnsworth's options were picked up, Shoppach's declined..

Rookie ERA

Big Game James and Worthy will be back.

It remains to be seen what happenes with Shop, though both sides say they are still interested but at a lesser price. Shop was very good defensively but not sure what other offers would be for a .176 BA.

Rookie ERA

Dan Johnson will have to be "The Man" for someone else, he declined an outright assignment to Durham and is a free agent.

Johnson hit 2 of the most historic homers for the Rays on the way to two of their postseasons.

Thanks Dan, hope you find a good home.

Rookie ERA

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I was disappointed to see Molina sign with the Rays. I really wanted to see him with the Giants for a year. Rays got a good backup who can still throw out runners at a high rate and has put back to back solid offensive seasons.

Rookie ERA

So long and good luck John! Hello and welcome Josh.

Jaso should enjoy being closer to home, Dad is in Yreka and Mom in San Diego, he was driving up to see Dad when he got the news.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast