Thread: The curious case of Matt Moore

Rookie ERA

The curious case of Matt Moore

The questions started before the season was even over, will Matt Moore be part of the Rays starting rotation plans for 2012? If so, who is likely be moved to the bull pen to make room OR to not be donning the white and blues next season?

The “obvious” choice might be James Shields, he made $4.25 M this season, the club holds options worth $28 M for the next three seasons. Maybe too expensive for Stu’s tightening purse, but at the cusp of 30 he could be invaluable as the “vet” in the rotation. If James stays, then who goes? The Rays at the moment are deep in pitching, they could move Wade Davis to the pen and trade one of the other highly sought starters or two since Alex Cobb has also thrown himself into the ring along with Alex Torres waiting in the wing.

Maddon has already shown a great deal of confidence in Moore. He gave him the reins in a must needed win against the Yankees in the Bronx during the “mission impossible”. Once again in the first game in Texas of the ALDS and the youngster delivered.

The hardest question maybe not be if there is a move but when, will the Rays pull the trigger and trade a starter for some offense and move an heir into position in the off season or wait to see how all their horses do in spring training?

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: The curious case of Matt Moore

How much more time does Price have? Can they afford him and Shields? Could he go back to that crazy good closer role as he didn't seem to finish 2011 very strong? Fatigue?

Matt More looked pretty studly.... Would this be a case of selling high? Or can he keep that up, after all his success in AAA was strong...

Rookie ERA
    Should Shields become available, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cubs in line to acquire him.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

Rookie ERA

Price becomes a FA after the 2012 season he is just $1.5 M next season, so pretty cheap "baseball"tively speaking. Shields is due for $7.

As much of a big talker as Price is, I am not sure he would be keen on a limited role. I had wondered if he was hiding an injury but that doesn't seem to be the case. Perhaps mental like Upton..... the " I am a much greater player in my head then I put into actionitis" seems to be catchy.

Moore appears to be composed way beyond his years even more than Hellickson if that is possible, but who knows with the Rays.....they just might make him pay more dues in the minors as they did with Price.

With Theo going to the Cubs I also wouldn't be surprised if tries to land a Ray or two.

MLB ERA

ummm... Price has arby years still...
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Rookie ERA