Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rays off-season 2010

Rookie ERA

Rays off-season 2010

2011 team has the potential to look a lot different.

So far not a lot of action but a few moves.

The Rays declined options on Willie Aybar and Dan Wheeler.

Activated JP Howell form the DL. (Nov.2)

Added Eliot Johnson (Nov.3) and Matt Bush (Nov. 4) to the 40-man roster.

Filed for Free Agency

Nov.7

Randy Choate
    Carlos Pena
    Carl Crawford
    Raphael Soriano
    Dan Wheeler
    Brad Hawpe
    Grant Balfour
    Chad Qualls
    Joaquin Benoit
    Rocco Baldelli

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Rays off-season 2010

It will be sad to see Crawford, Pena and Soriano leave but at least they have Jennings to help replace Crawford and will get some draft picks for Soriano and Crawford. I don't see them offering arbitration to any of their relievers though since they have a chance to accept and don't think the Rays want to pay that much for middle relief. Rays will make some good moves to fill these holes.

Rookie ERA

From a fans view, yes it will be sad. CC hurts the most just from the aspect that he has been here so long. Most of the bandwagon fans don’t realize he has been in the organization since ‘99. The reality is most players don’t stay their whole career with one team so on the objective side his leaving was inevitable.

I somehow think the Rays might work out a deal with Pena, but wouldn’t be surprised if he goes.

It appears the team will look different yet familiar as the platoon guys and bench players get regular spots. I am doubtful of play-off contention but I think they will be competitive. Sternberg’s main concern is a stadium, that became evident earlier in the year. Many scoff at the thought he will sacrifice play on the field for funding, but if anyone has looked at past drives for stadium funding that is exactly how it is done. An owner can not offer huge contracts and then hold his hand out to the city/county officials and say I need a new play-pen to make more money to field a winning team. I see them just having enough payroll to keep Selig off their back but not being able to quite keep up with the Yanks or Sox in the next couple of seasons, at least I would be surprised if they were higher than 3rd.

In the elections last week the rail funding referendum was voted down, the vote was just about split. This is the tax that was used earlier to fund the Bucs stadium. It is very possible that in the near future it will be put up again for vote but either replaced by a Rays stadium or to include it along with the rail, the city officials here and Orlando REALLY want the rail.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rays prospect Alex Torres struck out 11 batters over a five-inning start Tuesday in the Venezuelan Winter League.
    Torres fanned the last nine batters that he faced. The prized lefty has not allowed an earned run in four VWL starts this year and boasts 25 strikeouts over his first 17 2/3 innings of work. Acquired from the Angels in 2009 in a package for Scott Kazmir, he's on a fast track toward the majors.
    One of the reasons I think the Rays will be near the top of the East for a while, their scouting department. They just keep finding great pieces either through the draft or trades. Can't wait to see what they get for Shields or Garza.

Give Me Some Wieters
    Rookie ERA

I would like to see both Randy Choate and Joaquin Benoit in an Orioles uniform. I doubt they will get Benoit because of the year he had this past year and he will get a huge raise. The Orioles like the Rays will not pay a lot for middle relief like they did two or three years ago with guys like Baez and others that turned out to be a disaster. They will not go down that road again.

Rookie ERA

So, as we all knew a good chunk of our historic pieces are gone, probably more to come. I am not looking forward to facing CC for 18 games next year.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Rays are being linked to Manny, Giambi and Matsui. I think Giambi shouldn't be even looked at.

Soriano doesn't even know where he is going yet. We could get lucky and hope Friedman can pull out 10mil to resign him

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Rays have agreed to sign Joel Peralta for about $900K, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (on Twitter). The Nationals non-tendered Peralta earlier in the month, after a strong 2010 campaign.

Peralta, 35 in March, posted a 2.02 ERA with 9.0 K/9 and 1.7 BB/9 in 49 innings of work for the Nationals in 2010. A late bloomer who didn't reach the major leagues until his age 29 season, Peralta has a 4.22 ERA with 7.3 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9 in 260 career relief appearances. He has always generated lots of fly balls and this year ranked fifth in fly ball rate (55.6%) among big league relievers with at least 40 innings pitched.
    Not a terrible pickup for the Rays. Rays have a knack of finding relievers and this could be one of those diamonds in the rough. He had great numbers last year and hopefully they can roll over into 2011.

Rookie ERA

It's looking like the Rays won't be retaining any of the relief pitchers so anything is better than nothing at this point. I'm a bit out of the loop at the moment, I chucked my Internet/Cable provider so I am only able to get here as often.

It's Manny that shouldn't be looked at, though if I had my choise it would be Matsui.......if those are the only choices.

Let the Devil Rays Part Two era begin!

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If Desmond Jennings earns a spot in the outfield out of spring training, allowing Matt Joyce to DH, you wouldn't need to acquire a hitter.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If the Rays want to compete they will.

Rookie ERA

Well, being that we haven't gotten to ST yet and heavens knows with this group anything can happen or not happen...I will make a stab on what it appears could be the outcome or general thinking of the Rays. Desmond Jennings SEEMS to be the heir apparent to CC...or he could go to RF and platoon with Zobrist, Joyce could be the LF.....though I like Joyce in right to platoon with Zobey who would also plattoon with SRod at 2nd. Guys, I'm not worried about hitters......we need a bull pen any bull pen...send us warm bodies. The only thing that is set is Longo WILL be at 3rd and we will probably retain 5 of the 6 starters with one probably being relegated to the BP. Basically the team will suck, we will be fighting for 3rd place.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I keep reading Nick Johnson's name coming up for the Rays in chats with Olney, Dierkes and Law. He could be a good, low cost option at 1B and DH. Even the Rays could afford him.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tobywan View Post
    Basically the team will suck, we will be fighting for 3rd place.
    If your team finishes in 3rd place in the AL East it doesn't necessarily mean they suck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast