Thread: Chances the Rays Get Manny

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rays Chances the Rays Get Manny

With Manny hitting the waiver wire and likely not being claimed by a NL team, what do you think the Rays chances are of getting him? They were rumored before the deadline to be in talks with the Dodgers so there is a little smoke there. Rays definitely need a DH and Manny is the guy to bring in the AL East. Can't use the "Manny will be a distraction" excuse since he propelled the Dodgers into the playoffs when he first arrived in LA. Rays would be less likely to be no-hit if they got Manny. All this lies with the health of Manny but I think there is a very good possibility the Rays get Manny especially now that the Yankees are finding themselves a little trouble.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Chances the Rays Get Manny

I think they can use that excuse, things have gone downhill since his half season there. I don't think they'll risk it, they are a tighter knit group of a team than LA. Maybe more than even his circus he brings, as you pointed out his health, he's missed a lot of time with various injuries. Unless he's coming for practically free, and God knows LA will want Tampa to send money, it would be hard for their shrewd front office to risk anything.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Except LA isn't asking other teams to send money in exchange for Manny, just that they cover the entire remainder of his salary, which was something the White Sox balked at. I know, what a novel concept: paying a player to play for you.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Things went downhill in LA because of a few things that won't matter, poor GM moves and a 50 game suspension for Manny. He hasn't really been a circus lately and don't see him being one in Tampa. Its the same situation that he was in went he went from Boston to LA and the Dodgers couldn't have been any happier at the time. Manny won't be free for the Rays. They will most likely have to his remaining salary with the Dodgers getting nothing in return but a nice chunk of change off the books. With Manny strictly being a DH, that will cut down on the injury factor. Rays can and should do this IMO. With Crawford and Pena likely gone next year, might as well go all out this year. There's no other great DH options out there.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    With Manny hitting the waiver wire and likely not being claimed by a NL team, what do you think the Rays chances are of getting him?
    Stranger things have happened, but as far as the assertion that the Rays were talking to the Dodgers about Manny before the deadline I along with everyone had heard all the rumors and speculation about the Rays being in talks for Adam Dunn, yet according to both Friedman and Silverman they had NO interest in Dunn.

After the supposed “Rays are in heated talks with the Jays for Roy Halladay” and hearing straight from the horses’ mouth that the Rays never even made him an offer and later the Rays stating they didn’t go after him not sure how much “truth” there is behind rumors.

Personally I think this move goes against the formula the Rays are trying to build here, but that’s just my opinion.

Rookie ERA

Just a few moments ago during the Rays/Angels telecast, Stats and Kennedy were commenting on all the rumors about the teams that want Manny if and when the Dodgers decide to put him on waivers.. Both of them are of the opinion he will not make it out of the NL.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I really don't see a NL team putting a claim on him due to his health this year. Continuing to play him in the field isn't a smart thing. I think he clears waivers and goes to the White Sox now. Abreu is on waivers so the Rays should check him out.

Rookie ERA

Manny's still a big hitter, any team gettinghim would only have to pay about a mil.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Abreu is on waivers so the Rays should check him out.
    Really? Is that information anywhere other than blogs??

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Whoever gets Manny will have to pay over $4 million.

Rookie ERA

But over $3 mill of that is deferred.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

They would still have to pay it.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I could see a few NL teams making a claim on him before he gets to the Rays, a claim driven by paranoia.