Thread: Pat "The Bat" Burrell designated for assignment

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rays Pat "The Bat" Burrell designated for assignment

The Rays still owe Burrell almost 10 million dollars for this season. Isn't crazy how when he signed so many, including myself, believed the Rays were getting a steal? It seemed like a sweetheart deal with Burrell, still young enough and talented, leaving a team like the Phillies and really helping to shore up the Rays lineup with his veteran presence.

Was this just a guy hitting the age wall a lot sooner and harder than most? I mean in 2008 it wasn't exactly like Citizens Bank was his saving grace, his SLG% away was .577 versus at home it was only .439. Now though, no matter where he is, he can't hit his way out of a paper bag. Can he be restored even to a glimmer of his former self or he is done?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Pat "The Bat" Burrell designated for assignment

Old player skills must be the cause. I also believe performance at the home ballpark carries over onto road games.

Rookie ERA

I put the link in the game thread yesterday about the decision. Everyone thought he would be a great addition and have been perplexed by his sudden decline. According to Maddon and Freidman he was gracious about it. Believe it or not the Rays have had bigger and more expensive busts, so us fans just take it in stride. Now we can go back to getting more production from shoe string salaries, we seem to have much better luck with that route.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Pat has a no Bat.

Next destination? San Francisco? Seattle? The soft ball team Eric Byrnes plays for?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.