Thread: Gary Sheffield to Tampa?

MLB ERA

Rays Gary Sheffield to Tampa?

I'd be pretty upset if he went to Tampa, but it makes a lot of sense... add that bat to the lineup and it would be pretty scary
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

All Star
    Rookie ERA

Re: Gary Sheffield to Tampa?

Woo hoo!!! LETS GO GARY!
    From the look of other comments Sheffield, 40, made this morning, it sounds like he is of the opinion he could play the outfield.

"I have a lot left. I know that," he said. "If one person doesn't think you can play in the field, that's their opinion. I know I can. Nobody understands my body better than me. Unfortunately, I got hurt here and wasn't able to show what I can really do. I fought real hard to get back to this point. I just feel like I've got more to give."

Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski said: "Gary Sheffield is a probable Hall of Famer, and I think he should be a Hall of Famer. He's had a tremendous career. But ... when we looked at our roster, it was hard to keep Marcus Thames and Gary Sheffield. We have a player in Marcus Thames that we think can be a productive hitter for us."

This spring, Sheffield hit .178 (8-for-45) with three home runs, 13 walks, 10 strikeouts.

- - - - -

If Gary Sheffield is interested in signing with the Rays, they seem at least willing to think about it, though it seems he would have to be able to play rightfield since Pat Burrell is going to be the primary DH.

"That's very complimentary that he would want to come play for us,'' manager Joe Maddon said. "I have so much respect for this guy as a baseball player. I've gotten to know him a little bit over the last couple years, just having abstract conversations with him. I saw him during the off-season he's in great shape, he's a very strong person. And I like him. Conversationally I really like him. I don't know, again, it's very complimentary that he would want to play with us, and beyond that I have no idea what would happen.''

Fitting Sheffield into the lineup would take some creativity, which the Rays seem to relish, though it would go against their defensive oriented philosophy. "There's probably different kind of conjecture that can be applied to all of that,'' Maddon said. "I just know that I consider it a high compliment for a man of that stature to say he wants to play for us. That's what really stands out to me.''

But is it a realistic possibility? "I have no idea.''

- - - -

Gary Sheffield was released by the Tigers on Tuesday and, according to the Detroit Free Press, the Tampa native is hoping to come home and play for the Rays:

"Once he clears waivers, Sheffield will be able to sign with another team. He said he’d give preference to the Tampa Bay Rays, who play close to his home."

Sheffield told the paper he still “feels great” physically and would like to play this season. When asked if this is the end of his career, he replied, “It ain’t close.”

Even though Sheffield could be had for the $400,000 minimum salary (with the Tigers paying the rest of his $14-million salary), he wouldn't appear to fit with the Rays, who signed Pat Burrell to be their primary DH and have their outfield set, although with a platoon in rightfield of Gabe Gross and Gabe Kapler.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

What are you scared of? Sheffield is finished.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

All Star
    Rookie ERA

Yeah CJ, I'm just happy, he might become our RF or CF for Opening Day if we sign him very soon.

MLB ERA

McGriff or Boggs wouldn't answer the phone this time?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Gary Sheffield in CF???

Now THAT would be a sight to see.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

All Star
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Go Rays View Post
    From the look of other comments Sheffield, 40, made this morning, it sounds like he is of the opinion he could play the outfield.

"I have a lot left. I know that," he said. "If one person doesn't think you can play in the field, that's their opinion. I know I can. Nobody understands my body better than me. Unfortunately, I got hurt here and wasn't able to show what I can really do. I fought real hard to get back to this point. I just feel like I've got more to give."

Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski said: "Gary Sheffield is a probable Hall of Famer, and I think he should be a Hall of Famer. He's had a tremendous career. But ... when we looked at our roster, it was hard to keep Marcus Thames and Gary Sheffield. We have a player in Marcus Thames that we think can be a productive hitter for us."

This spring, Sheffield hit .178 (8-for-45) with three home runs, 13 walks, 10 strikeouts.

- - - - -

If Gary Sheffield is interested in signing with the Rays, they seem at least willing to think about it, though it seems he would have to be able to play rightfield since Pat Burrell is going to be the primary DH.

"That's very complimentary that he would want to come play for us,'' manager Joe Maddon said. "I have so much respect for this guy as a baseball player. I've gotten to know him a little bit over the last couple years, just having abstract conversations with him. I saw him during the off-season he's in great shape, he's a very strong person. And I like him. Conversationally I really like him. I don't know, again, it's very complimentary that he would want to play with us, and beyond that I have no idea what would happen.''

Fitting Sheffield into the lineup would take some creativity, which the Rays seem to relish, though it would go against their defensive oriented philosophy. "There's probably different kind of conjecture that can be applied to all of that,'' Maddon said. "I just know that I consider it a high compliment for a man of that stature to say he wants to play for us. That's what really stands out to me.''

But is it a realistic possibility? "I have no idea.''

- - - -

Gary Sheffield was released by the Tigers on Tuesday and, according to the Detroit Free Press, the Tampa native is hoping to come home and play for the Rays:

"Once he clears waivers, Sheffield will be able to sign with another team. He said he’d give preference to the Tampa Bay Rays, who play close to his home."

Sheffield told the paper he still “feels great” physically and would like to play this season. When asked if this is the end of his career, he replied, “It ain’t close.”

Even though Sheffield could be had for the $400,000 minimum salary (with the Tigers paying the rest of his $14-million salary), he wouldn't appear to fit with the Rays, who signed Pat Burrell to be their primary DH and have their outfield set, although with a platoon in rightfield of Gabe Gross and Gabe Kapler.
    Um...

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    Gary Sheffield in CF???

Now THAT would be a sight to see.
    Lets Go Rays, Sheff in CF might be a big stretch but there isn't any reason he couldn't play RF
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

All Star
    Rookie ERA

Agent Rufus Williams confirmed that Sheffield definitely has interest in coming home to the Rays, and that he mentioned it when they talked today. "In his own words, he said he’d have interest in the Rays, and he’d mentioned that before,’’ Williams said. “But it has to present itself. This all happened pretty quick. You would be hard-pressed to find someone at the end of their career who didn't have interest in finishing heir career at home.''

But the Rays are not the only possibility, with the Phillies among the teams that reportedly have interest. "There are other teams that have contacted us,'' Williams said. "There are some very interesting things out there. Rather than close doors I'd prefer to open them.''
    If the Phils sign him I'll be pissed off.

MLB ERA

Well, if he thinks he can do it, I don't see any reason he shouldn't be given 500 at-bats.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sheff is not a good team player and would be a bad fit for the Rays who have a great team chemistry. I was surprised to see the Tigers eat all that money but if he doesn't fit into your team's plan, **** him.