Thread: Ray Sadler ~ LF [R]

All Star
    Rookie ERA

Rays Ray Sadler ~ LF [R]

Ray Sadler jump started the Rays offense in the eighth, doubling to lead off, and then stealing third with a headfirst slide.

Elliot Johnson just knocked Sadler in with an RBI single to leftfield to give the Rays a 4-3 lead.

All Star
    Rookie ERA

Re: Ray Sadler ~ LF [R]

Ray Sadler hit his team-high fourth homer with two outs in the eighth as the Rays expanded their lead to 5-0.

All Star
    Rookie ERA

"Between returning players and a few accomplished additions, the Rays offered little chance for an upstart to come from nowhere and make the team this spring.

And barring an injury or trade during the last week or so of camp, none will. But outfielder Ray Sadler, a 28-year-old journeyman signed to a minor-league contract in December, has played well enough to earn future consideration.

Sadler, who figures to start the season at Triple-A Durham, leads the Rays in home runs (four) and slugging percentage (.788) and is batting .303. His most recent home run, Sunday against the Yankees, knifed defiantly through a brisk incoming wind.

"He's had a really good spring," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "He showed that he's a good defensive player, too, and he runs the bases well. He plays hard. He's a good man, and he fits our culture well."

Sadler has played more than 1,000 minor-league games since 2000 in the Cubs, Pirates and Astros organizations, hitting 130 home runs and batting .273. High points include leading the Double-A Texas League in RBIs (93) in 2007 and earning Defensive Player of the Month honors twice last year at Triple-A Round Rock.

A call-up by Pittsburgh in 2005 remains the zenith of his career. "Probably the best four days I've had," he says.

Sadler got his first major-league hit in his third game - not surprisingly, a home run. Moises Alou, a former minor-league teammate, retrieved the ball while playing for the opposing Diamondbacks. Sadler displays it in his home in Clifton, Texas.

This spring, the Rays coaches told Sadler to relax and not worry about making mistakes. He's done that, and he credits the approach for seeing the ball well.

"I know I can compete in Triple-A and Double-A," he said. "I've done it for years, all through the minor-league system. Wherever I go, my goal is to compete against the best.""

All Star
    Rookie ERA

Unofficially, the Rays have reassigned six more players to minor-league camp, including veteran INF Adam Kennedy. Also heading to Triple-A Durham are 1B Chris Richard, INF Ray Olmedo, OFs Jon Weber and Ray Sadler, and C Michel Hernandez.
    Well, this means we will keep Izzy and Joyce.