Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B.J. Upton ~ CF [R]

All Star
    Rookie ERA

Re: B.J. Upton ~ CF [R]

CF B.J. Upton, recovering from shoulder surgery, walked twice, got an infield hit and stole two bases in a minor-league game today.

He avoided any serious problems - such as Saturday when he was hit by a pitch on the left hand and needed x-rays - though was struck on the leg by a thrown ball on his infield hit. "I'm just a magnet,'' he joked.

All Star
    Rookie ERA

CF B.J. Upton probably will miss the start of the regular season after being hit in the left hand by a pitch March 21. While X-rays showed only swelling, the Rays will not hurry Upton back. “It’s not a huge issue for me,” Rays manager Joe Maddon said. “I want him to be healthy and well and ready, and I want him to have the kind of year he’s capable of because he’s healthy. I would want to do nothing to jeopardize the latter part of the season by being a little bit too quick now.”

Upton had been slowed this spring as he recovered from left shoulder surgery.

All Star
    Rookie ERA

In the same intrasquad game, B.J. Upton had four at-bats, striking out twice, grounding out and reaching base on a fielder's choice. He made three plays defensively, catching two fly balls. Upton said he felt good playing six innings.

"Stamina is coming up, stamina is almost there," Upton said. "Could have gone seven today if they wanted me to."

Upton said he still isn't sure of the schedule, but may be going to Fort Myers for another minor league game tommorrow, or not playing at all.

RHP Dan Wheeler was responsible for one of Upton's Ks Monday. Wheeler had his first two inning stint of the spring, giving up one run on two hits, while striking out two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12