Thread: Akinori Iwamura ~ 2B [R]

All Star
    Rookie ERA

Rays Akinori Iwamura ~ 2B [R]

Aki finally recorded his first hit in the WBC.

All Star
    Rookie ERA

Re: Akinori Iwamura ~ 2B [R]

The Japanese media is assembling here in Port Charlotte this afternoon, but it sounds like they may be disappointed. The Rays say 2B Akinori Iwamura, who helped Japan to the WBC championship, isn't due to arrive until late today or even Thursday.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I'm just curious, what does " [R] " stand for in each of the player threads? Does it stand for "report"??

All Star
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    I'm just curious, what does " [R] " stand for in each of the player threads? Does it stand for "report"??
    It stands for ''results''

All Star
    Rookie ERA

B.J. Upton appears headed in the right direction with his rehab despite Saturday's setback when he got hit in the hand; Thursday he'll play in a Minor League game.

Meanwhile, Matt Joyce, who has missed much of the spring due to right-leg tendinitis, will make his first appearance of the spring in the outfield. Ironically, the start will come against the Tigers, Joyce's former team.

Finally, Akinori Iwamura is expected to be in camp Thursday and likely will see his first spring action with the Rays on Friday after playing the World Baseball Classic.
    Rays Plays

All Star
    Rookie ERA

2B Akinori Iwamura arrived in Port Charlotte this morning, greeted warmly and congratulated by his teammates for winning the World Baseball Classic and saying he was excited about the coming season and doing whatever necessary, including moving down to eighth or ninth in the batting order.

"I haven't talked to Joe (Maddon) yet so I don't know what's going to happen, but I have no objection at all,'' Iwamura said through interpreter Bori Uchibori. "I understand what he's feeling, and that's what I've got in my mind.''

Iwamura also made it clear how excited he is about helping the Rays defend their AL Championship and getting back to the World Series.

"Last year we made the World Series but unfortunately couldn't make it all the way through,'' he said. "This year I have a chance to get two world championships - one is completed and one more is left right now, and hopefully we can make it through.''

Iwamura played a key role for the Japan team in the Classic, hitting .286 in the nine games and coming up with key hits in the semifinal and final. He said the championship is a huge deal in Japan, where "they have the fever.''

Winning the title was significant, he said: "It's very important to win the game, but most important thing is to spread how good baseball is to the world. Not only Japanese baseball, but world baseball. And it's more meaningful since there is not going to be world competition in the Olympics, and now it's more significant that we had a good result.''

The Rays had fun with Iwamura's return, putting two heart-shaped balloons in his his locker - "Cutie Pie" and "Only You." Because Iwamura wore No. 8 in the WBC (instead of his No. 1), he was giving some of his No. 8 equipment to SS Jason Bartlett, who wears No. 8 for the Rays.

All Star
    Rookie ERA

Akinori Iwamura just made his presence felt with a drive to right-center that became a triple. No run however as Carl Crawford grounded out to end the third.

All Star
    Rookie ERA

Iwamura after another championship | MLB.com: News
    While Akinori Iwamura missed most of Spring Training because he played second base for Team Japan in the World Baseball Classic, he's hardly missed a beat in preparing for the coming season.

Fact is, Tampa Bay's second baseman likely worked harder playing for Japan than he would have with the Rays, as Japan kept longer hours where practice was concerned.
    Well Aki, We want a championship too.

All Star
    Rookie ERA

Akinori Iwamura (岩村 明憲) (born February 9, 1979 in Uwajima, Ehime, Japan) is a Major League Baseball infielder for the Tampa Bay Rays. Throughout the Rays organization, he is commonly referred to as "Aki," while in Japan, his nickname was "Gan-chan".

http://www.strike3forums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1209&dateline=1239063  815