Thread: Upton Could Miss Opening Week

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rays Upton Could Miss Opening Week

Even with his recovery from left shoulder surgery ahead of schedule, Rays centerfielder B.J. Upton expects to miss the first week of the regular season. Upton and the Rays have plotted a cautious path and, though still "hoping" to be ready for opening day April 6, he is targeting the April 13 home opener after the team returns from Boston and Baltimore. "They said cold weather is probably going to be an issue with it, make it ache a little bit," Upton said Wednesday. "So we're going to be careful with it and hopefully when they get back off the road, I can start up. There's really no rush to it. We just want to make sure I'm 100 percent before I get back on the field."
    The Rays have plenty of OFers to cover for Upton. The Rays play the Red Sox and Orioles the first week so it will be a inter-division week. I hate when writers and pundits say games in April don't matter. They all add up and are every bit important as the games in September.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Upton Could Miss Opening Week

Upton's backups are Gabe Crapler and Fernando "Timo" Perez. Oh, oh, I say we give them Jason Repko.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Matt Joyce would likely play CF.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Or have Crawford play CF, Burrell in LF and keep Joyce in RF.