Thread: School Suspends 12 year old for Rays Fever Expressed via Rayhawk

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Article School Suspends 12 year old for Rays Fever Expressed via Rayhawk

Twelve-year-old Zachary Sharples, his father and his 4-year-old brother have had Rays Fever all season long. So with the team entering the ALCS against Boston on Friday, they all started the week by heading down to the barbershop to get Mohawks, the style preferred by many of the Rays players, fans and even manager, Joe Maddon.

Unfortunately, Sharples' school, Lincoln Middle in Palmetto, doesn't quite share the same level of passion for the Rays. Even though the mayor of Clearwater has vowed he'll get a "Rayhawk" if the team makes the World Series, the Lincoln administrators immediately gave Sharples an in-school suspension for a dress code violation.

From the Tampa Tribune:
    Mohawks are stylish in the Bay area now because several Rays players have them and word is the style has brought them luck at the end of the season. A barber in Town 'N Country has offered to give free mohawk haircuts until the Rays lose or win out.

The style didn't fly at Lincoln Middle School, Zachary said, even though the night before he washed out the blue dye. He knew the blue would cause problems, but he didn't think the style itself violated anything. He said he has never been in trouble before, but he has resolved to keep the style.

"I'm not shaving it off until they win the World Series," he said.
    No word if the administrators would have preferred Sharples completely shaving his head so he looked like a neo-Nazi, but you have to admire a kid who's willing to stand up for what he believes in. He didn't go to school either Tuesday or Wednesday and his family is moving to St. Petersburg later this week, so he likely won't have to deal with schools that won't allow their students to experience a little playoff fun.

The good news is that Zachary and his family will be at the Rays playoff games on both Friday and Saturday, where his haircut will not only be accepted, but celebrated. Long live the Rayhawk, indeed.
    School suspends 12-year-old for having Rayhawk fever - Big League Stew - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Long live the Rayhawk.

MLB ERA

Re: School Suspends 12 year old for Rays Fever Expressed via Rayhawk

how the **** is a mohawk a violation of a dress code, no matter what the reason???? That's absurd. Honestly, that's almost racist. It's a native american custom. Granted many people use it for other reasons, but you can't ****ing suspend a kid for a mohawk. That makes me furious. That's something my high school would do, and I hated the administration in my town.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The school just alienated one-third of the Rays fanbase.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ron Darling: "Go Blue!"
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Suspending a kid for that? But I bet that if he wore a shirt with a scantily clad woman, they would have looked the other way. ****ing stupid!

Rookie ERA

Kid's in a new school now and got to go onto the field last Saturday by special invitation from Jonny Gomes. I am sure he's cool now.