Thread: Upton's Lack of Hustle

MLB ERA

Rays Upton's Lack of Hustle

B.J. Upton was tagged out while jogging on the basepaths again on Monday.
    Awesome. He's like the Chuck Knoblauch of baserunning: he just can't hustle! Upton hit a ball that he thought was a homer, and trotted out of the box. The ball hit the wall, though, and Upton jogged to second. Mark Teixeira followed him and caught the relay throw, tagging Upton out before he got to the base. Upton was left in the game on Monday, and finished 2-for-5.
    This is ridiculous. Upton has been caught NOT hustling at least twice this season, both within the last week. The first time, his Manager Joe Maddon, waited until he got all the way out to centerfield before pulling him, and then benched him for the following game. One would think that would teach BJ his lesson, but apparently it didn't. I don't understand why a player with speed like him would just jog the bases. I mean, even if he doesn't sprint, as long as he's running, he's fine.

Hopefully this is just a couple of bad choices, isolated incidents. Look at Jose Reyes, people complain about his actions all the time, and he had 2 instances of lack of hustle last year, but he's at least hitting effectively and setting the pace for the Mets offense. Upton better get his head on straight. Anyone else think this could be of concern for the Rays?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Upton's Lack of Hustle

Insert Jimmy Rollins, Jose Reyes, Manny Ramirez, Rickie Weeks, Lastings Milledge, Alfonso Soriano, etc. etc.

It happens.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Agreed. I think that's the problem. It's gotten to the point where it's accepted. All I ask for as a fan is for the athletes who play the games I love to give full effort. If they don't, I am disappointed. Slumps happen...players struggle...but when you don't try as hard as you can...that I can't understand.

MLB ERA

You get paid several million dollars a year. the least you can do is RUN
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Exactly. I mean, it's one thing to hold a little bit back while still running....it's another to jog.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Maddon and the TEAM need to talk to Upton. The heat is on right now and Upton needs to show to the manager and team that he wants to be out there. Upton has had a very disappointing year this year and not hustling just makes my blood boil. And this is coming from a fan of the ultimate non-hustler Barry Bonds. Nothing pissed me off more than watching him not run out balls or going into his homerun trot too early. Upton best be hurrying from here on out and would be surprised if he is in tonight's lineuop.