Thread: Worried yet or is it time to start to panic?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rays Worried yet or is it time to start to panic?

So we don't actually have any true Ray fans, but I figure it makes for something worth looking into. We all know that Tampa is pretty tough at home, that's where they have handled the Red Sox, White Sox, and Yankees with much ease. But on the road, they are completely the opposite. 6 of the 7 games of their current 7 game losing streak have come on the road, and except for a nail biter with the yankees, they haven't been close to winning any of those games. Should you be worried? Boston regained the division lead and the yankees are picking up steam, as they usually do in the second half (they'll still be without Wang, but they will get a few more bats healthy in the second half). Even Baltimore is fairly alive.

The popular trade rumor is that the Rays will go for Brian Fuentes of the rockies, a former all star closer. He lost his job to Manny Corpas last season, who then lost the job back. Fuentes has his moments, he's very prone to getting rocked- but that's usually the M.O. for any Colorado reliever. He had a low 2 era until back to back forgettable outings late last month against SD and Detroit. Is he an answer? They could use help, and he's a lefty, so with Percival and Reyes being rather fragile, he's a nice insurance policy, right?

My personal opinion, they need to go get another bat, a good bat and not some journeyman for depth or an aging slugger who's lost a lot of bat speed. Upton is slumping, Pena will not be healthy for the rest of the year, and there's little past those two, Iwamura, Longoria, Navarro and Crawford. Crawford is under performing, and Navarro has never done this well before. Eric Hinske is a nice part, but he's a role player. Jonny Gomes is not even hitting .200, I think he's made more contact to opposing players' faces than the ball. If they could get a good bat, they should go for it.

The other thing is starting pitching. How much can you trust Shields-Kazmir-Sonnanstine-EJackson-Garza. That's a lot of talented, young pitching but let's be honest, Jackson has never been consistent, Kazmir never stays healthy (he's also slumping right now), and Sonnanstine has 10 wins and a 4.50 plus ERA.

Do the rays panic, and make a lot of moves to get out of their funk and battle the Empires of the Northeast? Or should they sit back, do what they can with what they have, cause they are VERY young, and gear up for the big run next season?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Closed
    AAA ERA

Re: Worried yet or is it time to start to panic?

I as a Redsox fan are still very concerned about this Rays team. They have recently swept the Sox and I really don't think this team is going away anytime soon. I still think because of experience the Sox will take the division, but the Rays are for real.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Worried yet or is it time to start to panic?

That was at home, though. I believe the red sox swept the Rays when they played in Boston.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.