Jason Hammel has waited a long time for tonight's start.

It's not just the eight days since he last pitched in a minor-league game, or the 13 days since his last spring training start — so long ago that Hammel joked, "I don't remember."

This is about the six years he has spent developing in the Rays system, and the parts of the past two seasons he has spent in the big leagues without much success, a 3-11 record and 6.70 ERA.

For Hammel, 25, tonight is the start of proving he can be a successful major-league pitcher.

"It's been expectations … expectations … now let's see the potential," he said. "I'm not hopeful; it's time for, without a doubt. I'm ready to go. I'm ready to pitch like I know how to pitch."

As the No. 5 starter, Hammel is going to have to show it quickly, given that the Rays will have to make room for Scott Kazmir by the end of the month, and because Hammel, like No. 4 starter Edwin Jackson, is out of options, which means the Rays can't just ship him back to Triple A for more work.

Manager Joe Maddon has said both will have less room for error than in past seasons, but it sounds as if the Rays will be understanding about Hammel tonight given the circumstances.

"To sit around that long is never easy," Maddon said. "I believe he's going to be ready; how sharp he's going to be, we'll find that out based on the time in between."
Baseball: Rays: Time for Hammel to step up