Thread: So much for the Rays "turning smart"

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rays So much for the Rays "turning smart"

SANTIAGO, Dominican Republic -- Tampa Bay Rays infielder Willy Aybar is in custody in his native Dominican Republic for domestic violence charges, according to a local prosecutor.

Aybar, 24, has been held without bail since Thursday for allegedly assaulting his wife in Baní, about 25 miles south of Santo Domingo.

"Aybar is in jail since last week, and he could spend at least three more months in jail if he is convicted of domestic violence," said Jesus Fernandez Velez, the appeals court prosecutor in charge.
    So they replaced a wife beating pot addict (Elijah Dukes) with a wife beating coke addict (Aybar). What a change.

MLB ERA

Re: So much for the Rays "turning smart"

I knew Aybar was a waste when the Braves acquired him from the Dodgers. He should be released and not allowed to play on another team.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I doubt Aybar has a future with this team.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    Willy Aybar was released from jail in the Dominican Republic on Wednesday after his wife dropped a domestic violence complaint against him.
    Aybar, 24, and his 23-year-old wife have been married for seven years and have three children. The Rays are planning on having the third baseman enroll in a program for treatment after the latest incident. Aybar went AWOL from the Braves last year and later checked into rehab because of a substance-abuse problem.
    Why do women do this? He won't learn.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Eric Hinske has reportedly signed a minor league deal with the Rays that would guarantee him $800,000 if he makes the team.
    Hinske isn't much of an option at third base these days, but he's no worse of an option there than Brendan Harris was at short or Ty Wigginton or B.J. Upton was at second and all three of them logged significant time at those positions last year. So, if not Willy Aybar, perhaps Hinske will prove to be the fallback to Evan Longoria there. He's worth keeping as a backup at first and DH anyway.
    Bye Bye Willy! Rays are smart to get someone else other than Aybar to compete with Longoria.