Thread: Teams Not Interested in Upton

Rookie ERA

Rays Teams Not Interested in Upton

The Devil Rays have been willing to talk about trading top hitting prospects OF Delmon Young and IF B.J. Upton all winter, but the player teams are more wary of might surprise you. It's not Young, who was suspended for 50 games last summer after throwing his bat at an umpire in a Class AAA game. Rather, it's Upton, who was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft but is a shaky fielder and has struggled to find a position. A rival scout says he soured on Upton when he refused to pick up baseballs at the end of a batting practice at Class AAA Durham last year and brushed off a Bulls coach in the process. "There are serious questions about that kid," the scout says. "I just don't know how much he wants to play." . . .
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...=tsn&type=lgns

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

yikes. again, the stereotype of athletes today, me, me,me , oh yeah, did I mention me!!! Not team, that is bad for their image!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Roger Clemens gets no guff for doing it. And no I'm not trying to compare a HOFer to Upton but Clemens is all about him these days.

Really, that's the character issue they are concerned about?

If I'm an NL team, I can understand being wary about the defense, since you hate to use an athlete like that at 1B or COF. As an AL team, he looks to be a great DH, but you like a second first base type player in there. Still, I think it's more of a high asking price for the D-Rays than a lack of interest.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I saw an article on espn.com of Gammon's supporting Upton a bit today. Reminding everyone, the kid is only 22. maybe that will trigger some interests in him.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Teams Not Interested in Upton

I would guess teams are interested in him now. Off to a great start for the baby Rays.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.