Thread: League FAQ

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

League FAQ

Part 1- Lineups

First off, I will again repeat this, any player traded or acquired goes directly to AAA, so don't assume they are on the 25 man roster. Also some teams have more than 25 men due to the expanded rosters in September, make changes accordingly and be aware like always, not everyone will accept demotions.

Promotions
    {Position Name then from current level to....whatever the level he is being promoted to}
    3B E. Munson AAA to MLB
    LF L. Nix AAA to MLB
    SP R. Freierbend A to AA

Demotions
    {Position Name then from current level to....whatever the level he is being demoted to}
    LF Todd Linden MLB to AAA

If you do your promotions and demotions correctly, there really is no need to write up a 25 man roster. It's a pain for me to check and like mentioned, if the promotions and demotions are done correctly everything should be fine.

Rotation
    {If you want your rotation to be a strict order rotation or a start the most rested, please specify and the changes will be made}
    1) R J. Foppert
    2) R J. Beckett
    3) R J. Bonderman
    4) L D. Willis
    5) L E. Threets

Spot Starter
    {If wanted, please specify the percent you would want him to start, IE 10%, 25% etc}
    1. NONE

Mop-up

1) R B. Baisley
    2)

Middle Relief

1) R D. Kolb
    2) L J. Beimel
    3) R B. Baisley
    4)

Set-up
    1) R F. German
    2) L A. Burnside

Closer
    1) R M. Koplove

Lineups
    {If you want for instance vs. LHP and RHP to be the same, specify that to make it easier and quicker for me to do.}

LINEUP VS RHP Pos
    1) A. Soriano 2B
    2) J. Mauer C
    3) J. Crede 3B
    4) A. Dunn LF
    5) C. Ross CF
    6) X. Nady RF
    7) J. Stokes 1B
    8) M. Cabrera SS
    9) Pitcher

LINEUP VS RHP+DH Pos

1) A. Soriano 2B
    2) J. Mauer C
    3) J. Crede 3B
    4) A. Dunn LF
    5) C. Ross DH
    6) X. Nady RF
    7) J. Stokes 1B
    8) M. Cabrera SS
    9) C. Snelling CF

LINEUP VS LHP Pos
    1) A. Soriano 2B
    2) J. Phillips C
    3) X. Nady RF
    4) C. Ross CF
    5) J. Crede 3B
    6) A. Dunn LF
    7) M. Cabrera SS
    8) J. Stokes 1B
    9) Pitcher

LINEUP VS LHP+DH Pos

1) A. Soriano 2B
    2) C. Snelling CF
    3) X. Nady RF
    4) C. Ross DH
    5) J. Crede 3B
    6) A. Dunn LF
    7) J. Phillips C
    8) M. Cabrera SS
    9) J. Stokes 1B

Questions or any additional small changes

{IE, position changes}
    Change AAA LF Todd Linden's position from LF to RF.

And a Thanks wouldnt hurt either.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Other then Section I, which everyone needs to look at, the rest is just general information and help for new GMs or GMs who have trouble in trading

I. Format. This is a new format for trades to make it easier on the trade council to judge trades, especially big ones. This format may get trades approved faster and may get some of your to realize your mistakes. OK, the new format is like this

Team X gives
    Player 1 (Salary1, Position, Overall/Prospect Star Rating)
    Salary Subtotal: (Salary 1)

Team Y gives
    Player 2 (Salary2, Position, Overall/Prospect Star Rating
    Player 3 (Salary3, Position, Overall/Prospect Star Rating)
    Salary Subtotal: (Salary 2+3)

For instance

Philadelphia gives
    Chase Utley (830,000, 2B, 2.5 stars)
    Salary Subtotal: 830,000

New York (N) gives
    Kenny Kelly (439,714, RF, 2.0 stars)
    Heath Bell (MLD, RP, 1.0 stars)
    100,000 dollars

Salary Subtotal: 539,714 (KK's salary +100k given)

That is the basic format that we want, it will make our lives easier.

II. There are a few trading rules as always (unless overruled by the TC)
    A. There are no three team trades. If you want to do a three team trade, do the trades seperately
    B. There is a maximum amount of players that can be in a deal: 10. No more then that
    C. A limited amount of money may be included in a deal
    i. 1/3 of a player's annual salary may be included for a player under 10 million dollars in annual salary (for a 9 million dollar player, you can give 3 million per year)
    ii. 2/5 of a player's annual salary may be included for a player 10 million or more in annyal salary (for a 10 million dollar player, you can give 4 million)

There may be more that I am forgetting, but that is the trio for now

III. The Trade Council judges a trade on three mediums that they must pass for a trade to be processed

A. Financial: This is simple, if the amount of money you receive in player salary in a trade outnumbers your FA available money, you can't do the trade. For instance

PHI has 5 million in FA money, and he receives a 7 million dollar player in a trade without getting 2 million, giving a 2 million+ player(s), or a combination of both, he cannot do said trade

B. Deception. If a player is injured or has a serious problem, and the person is deceived into doing a deal without them knowing, we will stop the trade to make sure the person receiving the problematic player knows.

C. Talent discrepency. This is easily the most touchy subject, and I think we are pretty strict on trades that are horribly unfair. If one guy gets a 5 star prospect for a 2 star player, we won't pass it unless there are circumstances for said situation. We are picky, and I don't know how I will explain this, but we use our common sense.

Not that anyone looks at this anymore, but if you spell a player's name wrong to the extent that I cannot search for him on a team's name list, I may be annoyed enough to veto on that. Hah. (Updated 4/4/06: Dietrich)

IV. Hints when you are trading

A. Consider the financial consequences. A trade is not only based on talent, money is a very big factor in trading. Always be sure to consider whether trading your 3.0 SP making 350k is worth upgrading to a 4.0, but absorbing 12.5 million in salary. Some times are in dire straits because they did not consider salary problems. Sometimes, finances can be more important then talent.

B. Be reasonable. GMs don't like to deal with other GMs who make ridiculous offers. If you want my SP with a 4.0 star rating who I put on the block, offer something good up, either a similar pro player or a great prospect, or maybe a lesser version of each.

C. More often then not, if a team has a trade block, and x player isn't on that block, he is either difficult to get or not available. If you make an offer for him, make it good or don't make it. Even better, inquire if said player can be gotten at all.

D. Make sure your trade has an upside for both teams. If I am going to trade a 2.5 SP for your 2.5 SP who has the exact same everything or who is very similar, what is the point unless I asked for such a thing?

V. Financials

OK, here is how to judge if you can do a trade financially. With the new format, it is easy.

The team that takes on less salary has no problems, so this is only to the team taking on more salary.

Look at the format, specifically the subtotals of annual salary. Take the higher subtotal and subtract the lower subtotal, and compare it to your available FA money. If the subtotal amount is more then your available FA money, you cannot do a trade, if it is less, you can do a trade, for instance

PHI gives:
    Player X (9,000,000, SP, 4.5)

HOU gives:
    Player Y (1,000,000, 2B, 3.5)

OK, HOU receives the 9m dollar SP, so they take on 9 million dollars (SP) - 1 million dollars (2B), meaning they have to take on 8 million dollars.

HOU total FA money: 4,584,403

In this case, 8 million is more then the 4.5 million and change, so they could not make this trade.

Update (11-11-06):
    If you release a player, your available free agent cash remains at what it was prior to the release of a contract, upon releasing a player of substantial salary (1 mil or over), you must note your current FA cash listed on the OOTP site. This is done as a preventive measure against a glitch in the game as it takes the money charged to you and puts it against FA expenses while lowering payroll and thus adding more to your available FA funds.

VI: Value of Players
    OK, the value of a player is different for everyone and I cannot tell people how to play. If anyone wants to submit their ideas of values, be my guest and I'll put them here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Current Trade Council:

Myself
    DiamondDave
    Saber
    Hammer
    Kingdom_of_Zito
    Last edited by missionhockey21; 08-15-2010 at 07:21 AM.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: League FAQ (Additional Rules for Lineup Changes)

Simple stuff actually.
    1. Format as such (organized by position and level, ie SP-OF grouped by from where and where to the players are moving):

Promotions/Demotions
    SP Player A from A to AA
    MR Player B from A to AA
    CL Player C from A to AA
    C Player D from A to AA
    1B Player E from A to AA
    2B Player F from A to AA
    3B Player G from A to AA
    SS Player H from A to AA
    LF Player I from A to AA
    CF Player J from A to AA
    RF Player K from A to AA
    DH Player L from A to AA

SP Player A from AA to AAA
    MR Player B from AA to AAA
    CL Player C from AA to AAA
    C Player D from AA to AAA
    1B Player E from AA to AAA
    2B Player F from AA to AAA
    3B Player G from AA to AAA
    SS Player H from AA to AAA
    LF Player I from AA to AAA
    CF Player J from AA to AAA
    RF Player K from AA to AAA
    DH Player L from AA to AAA

... and etc. The point here is that players should be grouped on the following:
    1a. Whether it's a promotion or demotion or releases.
    2a. The level they are going from and to.
    3a. Listed going down from SP to MR to CL to C and the positions that follow as listed. The game lists players in this manner and be it any type of transaction, a bulk one especially, this will make it SO MUCH EASIER for me.

2. No more depth charts. Everyone gets either an auto-depth chart or a depth chart that is autoed based on your lineups, you can specify if you like, otherwise I will auto based off your lineups.

3. No more custom setting of minor league lineups, if you want the best to play, release some players with no future with your team (ie +26 scrubs with no significant talent to reach.)

4. Do not submit DH lineups or non-DH lineups (depending if you are AL or NL) if inter-league play is not scheduled or upcoming.
    Last edited by missionhockey21; 06-20-2011 at 07:29 AM.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Strike 3 Sim League Re: League FAQ (Anti-Tanking Rules)

S3SL Anti-Tanking Manifesto
    1.) GM's must field competitive teams (to the best of their organizational abilities.)
    1a.) It is okay, and within rules, to hold back talented MLB ready PROSPECTS to delay their arbitration clock, or demote talented arbitration eligible players if they are set to achieve FA status for the following year if they continue to play at the MLB level.
    2.) If a team is suspected of tanking, they have one sim after being notified to correct their roster and lineup. If they do not not, the situation will be voted upon by the TC where either I will correct the roster, we will set the computer to handle it, or we will find a replacement GM. This largely depends on the situation.
    3.) If voted to be a team who is tanking, they will be knocked down to the last pick of the draft. Should a second GM also need punished, the first GM moves to pick 29, the second has pick 30 (with all other teams moving up by one) and etc.

S3SL Dead GM Clause
    1.) If a GM is no longer longing into the site and is leaving their team unattended, I will take corrective roster action as needed (promotion/demotion/free agents) to correct their team to be competitive.
    2.) In a situation like this, the team will not be punished, but very likely the GM will be replaced.