Thread: What is your ideal team?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Strike 3 Sim League What is your ideal team?

Realistically speaking, cause we can't all have 10-10-10 pitchers and 10-10-10-10-10 bats. Not unless it was Crazy's SBSL. What is your preferred direction when you try to field teams? We all tend to have differences of opinion when it comes to the type of player we almost always aim for, whether it's the high OBP guys, the steal a lot of bases guys, high average players, pitchers who are high in control and movement, closers that have high stuff, etc.

What kind of hitters do you normal focus on getting? Do you focus on speed, defense, and/or whatever?

Which type of starting pitchers would anchor your rotation?

And what's in the pen, who do you prefer to close games or be longer relievers or set up men?

(This is for all league members, not just S3SL, I just like to post general thread topics in the ORIGINAL RECIPE league. Haha)
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: What is your ideal team?

I prefer the high contact hitters with versatility (playing multiple position). Speed/defense are preferred after that.

I like the high movement-control pitchers in the rotation. (6-10-8 types)

The high stuff guys generally go to my bullpen (the 10-6-8 etc, etc)
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    What kind of hitters do you normal focus on getting? Do you focus on speed, defense, and/or whatever?
    I use to draft/trade for nothing but contact/eye guys (9-7-4-10-5) but now I look for mostly well rounded players with some power in the middle.

I only care about speed if he can get on base. at a +370ish OBP%

Defense up the middle C-2B-SS-CF

10-5-10 or 5-10-10. I stay away from 10-10-5 usually.

And what's in the pen, who do you prefer to close games or be longer relievers or set up men?
    10-?-? I like the stuff for closers/MR

(This is for all league members, not just S3SL, I just like to post general thread topics in the ORIGINAL RECIPE league. Haha)[/QUOTE]

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post

I'm going to include the draft because that is where a lot of value can come. I take Best Player Available regardless. If I am in the middle of a run I take the guy that I believe could bring the most value in a trade, if I am rebuilding I go for as much depth as I can and why I make everyone available when I rebuild. Some of my best trades aren't the ones that include superstars its the deals that I usually get a "what's the point" response from someone.

Traded from Toronto to Minnesota on 2/28/2025 (Going to Tor: P Brian Carlson. Going to Min: 3B Jesse Cone, 3B Jamel Malinowski)... Malinowski has been a very solid super sub for me including last year during a World Series run and Cone held down 3b until Hickmon developed and I let Cone walk not expecting anyone to pay him what he got on FA but boy has he earned it.

Hitters I build for the park/league, in this league I concentrate on Contact, Eye, Gap, Speed, Power in that order. My belief is you can't hit a home run if you can't make contact. Granted I've had Monster bats in the middle when I am good, but around them I build with Rickie Weeks the triples machine, Ruvacalba's, guys who get on base to give the Twin Towers (Morabito/Kotter, St. John/Oliver/Lizardo) plenty of RBI opportunities.

Pitchers I always try to find middling stuff and high control and movement. I've had some of my best luck with guys like Donald Degroat who was 6 or 7, 9,10 type. Because of the park I play in I am willing to take some high FB% risks and sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Pen I am more lenient to control but I try to keep the minimum of 6 control regardless. My closers in this league have largely been crap before Melvin Daigneault my best closer would arguably be Joseph Akridge who was a 10 6 6 talent starter who couldn't get it done as a starter with that movement or control. But all over the pen he was one of my best in whatever role (setup, closer, or middle relief) that I have had.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

eye has taken over as my main hitting category. obviously my yankee team is kinda stacked hitting wise... but id favor an 8-8-4-9-8 guy over a 6-8-10-6-4 guy.

pitching... control is the most important thing, and id like another one of them to be high. if the stuff is highish (7-8), then movement can be lowish (4-5)... and id rather that than an empty stuff guy with high movement (3/4-10-8... i got a couple of them, high 4s low 5s era always).

in relief... a warm body essentially. that was a little bit better of a plan a couple seasons ago when i had barcenas getting like 15 complete games a year. i need a warm body and a pulse now. essentially, whichever reliever boosts at the end of a given season, is usually the guy who gets to be my setup man for the next year. ive done that for years with vandenbosch, rodgers, coburn... they all suck, granted, but id rather do that than splurge in free agency for a 7 million dollar reliever whos gonna do just about the same thing. perhaps thats why my team fizzles out in the playoffs every year... hooray!

MLB ERA

HSL (pre-tweak): I love high contact hitters with discipline and don't strike out often...power and gap for me is nice but optional (See Carl Cornette or Joel McCraney) As for pitchers I like guys high in movement in my rotation, control in HSL isn't exactly required but it can't be terrible. In terms of MR/CL I've had so much trouble trying to put average guys in there I'm going top of the line now for the forseeable future

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99;
    I like the high movement-control pitchers in the rotation. (6-10-8)
    stuff-control-movement... Your better than this

I like contact, power, and speed in hitters. Not that its won me anything, but I've targeted players who fit this and had several all-star players.

Pitching I'm still figuring out what works, I love strike outs so most of my pitchers will have 8/10 stuff talent, control and movement are less important to me but I'm realizing how important movement is.