Thread: KoZ Ford's Top Free Agent List

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Strike 3 Sim League KoZ Ford's Top Free Agent List

Brought to you in part by... Lebron's missing murial.

1. Buckaroo Banzai, SS
    To me, he's the clear cut top free agent available. He's been miserable with the bat since 2030, but he has power, speed, and great range at short. He's also British. Sadly, someone will likely wind up giving him a ridiculous contract, and this would have never happened if Los Angeles, you know, had a GM? Expect a bounce back year.

2. Hong Alder, 1B
    Tremendous power, ability to draw a lot of walks, and again same deal as Banzai, wouldn't be here if that team had an owner this past decade. Statistically, he's only had one good year but the potential is there. Remember, he was not filled out when he was signed in 2028. He is now.

3. Sixto Diestefano, SP
    If you stomach a ton of walks, you get a ton of strikeouts and a quality ERA. He's been pretty consistent ever since he topped out in Pittsburgh. He's also 28, expect an ugly contract from an idiot. Trivia: he was an after thought in an Eddie Burpee trade nearly a decade ago. (Ooooh, burn OM)

4. James Ospina, OF
    Surprised? He has no real weakness, he's primed for a break out year. Not convinced? See Eugene Nilles on my team. Ospina is a good defender and will still bases, along with nearly everything else. He might go unnoticed initally with all of the power hitters on the market.

5. Juan Haman, 2B
    I don't like him, but it's hard to ignore his career. He's 27, plays SS, and capable of nearly 40 homeruns. You like that in a middle infielder. But he's above his contact talent, that'll certainl go down at some point soon. He's nearly the 2B version of Alder.

6. Antonio Munoz, MR
    I know, I'm crazy. Here's what I know about sim leagues. Your odds of winning in the postseason strongly increase when you have a bullpen and a defense. Almost realistic, isn't it? Look, I won the last World Series because my pen woke up at the right time and I'm almost always in the top 5 in fielding. Munoz is a big strikeout reliever, he's capable of being really good.

7. Samuel Alvarez, C
    Back in the day, I would have rated this guy the 2nd best on the market. But we have no designated hitter. Alvarez is really bad on defense. No range, average arm. The best move is signing him to be your 1B, it's the easiest position to learn on OOTP. And it's possible he'd be a decent 1B. But someone will ignore all of that because he does nothing but HIT THE BALL.

8. Ruben Duran, CF/SS
    This guy might be one of the most unique players in the league. Look at the ratings, look at the positions he can play. He's tantalizing, but falls short of being amazing. If he was 24 and 34, you'd always be hoping he boosted his power or contact, so he'd be over the hump. But, you are stuck with a guy who can do everything and is just inconsistent in doing it.

9. William Joyce, S
    He's good enough to be solid, but never good enough to be great. Your ideal #3, but will likely get paid to be a #2 or even an ace. Buyer beware, he's not above having a really bad season, his career says so.

10. Elvis Delbosque, 1B
    He didn't play much, because well, Detroit decided to be lame and purposely tank. Therefore, not much to go on last season. But he is a hitter, with some power. He won't set the league ablaze but he'll be productive. So how many players did Detroit move from their year long firesale last season? Oh, whoops.

11. Clifton Mooreman, infield
    He falls out of the top ten because he has no range anywhere and does not make much contact. But man, oh man, out of morbid curiousity, someone sign this guy and start him every day. 600 or more at bats, that's what he needs. In less than 400 at bats, he hit over 30 homeruns with 19 steals. You're telling me your not going to risk signing a 40/40 guy?

12. Antonio Delmonte, OF
    He is nothing but consistent. He is not amazing, he is not a superstar, he is just consistent. Look at the homeruns, RBI, and runs for his career. He produces, nearly every season. He might not hit 40 again, but he'll probably hit 30 and drive in 100. You want that in your lineup.

13. Joseph Yaquet, LF
    I would be cautious of a real longterm deal. Yaquet is 32, he's above his contact talent. He's typically hitting .300 with some power. Because he does not walk often, he makes a lot of contact, primarily from the right side. I would not expect a .900 OPS again.

14. Ryan Carroll, 1B/2B
    He's old, currently 36, and injury prone. You do have to beware of a possible ratings drop soon. But if not, you'll have a very steady hitter. He's not really a middle of the order hitter anymore, but should be capable of hitting 20 plus again.

15. Frank Clamer, C
    Clamer gets the final nod because of the very horrible pitching that remains. Someone will over pay on Smathers, Collier, McGinch, etc. but those people haven't looked at the numbers and they'll be the ones hurting (but it gives me someone to laugh at). Clamer is solid as a catcher. Not a great hitter, or defender, but doesn't take away from your lineup or team. Teams will flock to Alvarez and Porto, but Clamer and Romero might end up as bargains.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: KoZ Ford's Top Free Agent List

I only made an offer to 1 of those guys. I made 4 offers total. I have a lot of expiring contracts after this season so I'm going to hold off on spending big. I'll see what happens this year, but I'll probably finish 3rd or 4th.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'll tank just so you can win the division, sheesh.
    Ted

MLB ERA

No need to do that. What about the Grand Wizard at catcher? Noodle-armed catchers seem to be all over this league.

MLB ERA

Mooreman has been a 40/40 guy.. when we used a DH... he could play 1st decently... but with what he was demanding in salary during negotiations last season, I could not pull the trigger for him being an every day pinch hitter and utility backup... when this guy goes on a tear, it is simply sick
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

MLB ERA

Alder is a guy who will always disappoint. Know why? It's not the homers, it's the doubles. Reminds me of Tom Loose, but Loose could play RF and could actually draw a pile of walks.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It's not like he's a 4 or 5 in gap power. He'll be a fine player for a fair contract, which means he'll get 12 million. At that point, sure, he would disappoint. It's easy to disappoint when you're overpaying in typically weak markets (although this is a pretty solid hitting market compared to most years). It's like the Seattle Mariners every other season.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    No need to do that. What about the Grand Wizard at catcher? Noodle-armed catchers seem to be all over this league.
    Well, he is going to walk and not strike out much. But will he hit? He does have range, but as you pointed out, another noodle arm. Could be a bargain too.
    Ted

MLB ERA

My noodle-armed catcher Booger will replace Olivo when he dies some day. I just hope he fills out that power.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mooreman is a PTPer babay

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Sam Alvarez is starting to slow down a bit, but as the Zito predicted, he has made a pretty nice 1B and he has continued to hit; is on pace for 30 HRs and 125 RBIs.