Thread: NLCS Preview: Pittsburgh (98-67) vs Arizona (98-68)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Forecast NLCS Preview: Pittsburgh (98-67) vs Arizona (98-68)

Season Series: Arizona won series 4-2

How they got to the LCS: Pittsburgh was dominant in its sweep of the Giants. Arizona relied on their rotation and offense to upset Philly.

Probable Rotations (Once again off projection)
    Game 1: John Pascua (1-0, 7.20) vs James Petrey (1-0, 1.00)
    Game 2: Lance Uppercut (1-0, 3.86) vs Daniel Saunders (2-0, 1.29)
    Game 3: Robert Olsen (1-0, 1.23) vs Pedro Batista (0-1, 4.50)
    Game 4: Robert Destefano (0-0, 0.00) vs James Petrey
    Game 5: Lance Uppercut vs Daniel Saunders
    Game 6: Robert Olsen vs Pedro Batista
    Game 7: John Pascua vs James Petrey

* I doubt that Zito will go this route with his matchups. So don't set that in stone.

Position Matchups

Catcher: Isidoro Romero (PIT) vs Carl Holmes (ARI)
    Romero is a much superior hitter and defender. Holmes is the much better runner but still. Edge: Pittsburgh, I'm a realist, Holmes is good but he's not on Romero's jockstrap.

1st Base: Ryan Carroll (PIT) vs Michael Cox/Weldon Ackermann (ARI)
    Unlike Philly, Ryan Carroll is a better player than both Cox/Ackermann combined. While Cox is producing in the postseason. Edge: Pittsburgh, easily and I do need a 1B in the offseason.

2nd Base: Isidoro Alfraro (PIT) vs Ricky Ornelas (ARI)
    Both guys are stinking up the joint this postseason. But were very similar during the regular season. Edge: Even. Right down the middle.

3rd Base: Tim Lachance (PIT) vs Richard Vanvalkenberg (ARI)
    One of the many ex-DBacks on the roster, Lachance has been relatively quiet this postseason. Vanvalkenberg has lived up to his nickname this postseason with a 1.074 OPS. Edge: Arizona, Vanvalkenberg has stepped up this season.

Shortstop: Chris McMaster (PIT) vs Jeff Ward (ARI)
    McMaster didn't do too much vs the Giants, then again they didn't need him. Jeff Ward was 6 for 11 with 4 RBIs and 1.220 OPS vs the best pitching staff in the NL this season. Edge: Arizona, Ward has been huge in his rookie season. But I won't count out McMaster in this series.

Left Field: Jose Bemudez (PIT) vs Alex Morabito (ARI)
    The ageless wonder continued his strong postseason resume hitting .500 and 5 runs scored. Jose Bemudez has to step up his power game to help the Pirates offense. Edge: Arizona, Ward and Morabito carried them past the Phillies.

Center Field: Javier Barbosa (PIT) vs JC Carillo (ARI)
    Edge: Pittsburgh, not even worth mentioning.

Right Field: Fred Luera/Willie Hayes (PIT) vs Bill Sato (ARI)
    Sato has stunk up the joint so far. Luera had a steady postseason so far.
    Edge: Even, Will the 2025 or 2026 Bill Sato please stand up.

Starting Pitching: Regular Season its about even. This postseason it remains even.

Middle Relief: Arizona, outside of a 19-yr old converted starter that allowed two runs. They have out performed Pittsburgh's bullpen.

Closer: Even. Delossantos closed games before Daigneault in Zona. Neither have allowed a run in the postseason. Something has to give.

Outlook: Lets face it. All bets are out the window right now. Both teams are fairly young and didn't really expect to make it this far. Anything can go and I still think this will be a long series. In the end, Pittsburgh has the better offense and could end up winning this out. Pirates in 6.

P.S. Someone else can do the A.L.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Want a moustache ride? BrewerBall13's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Re: NLCS Preview: Pittsburgh (98-67) vs Arizona (98-68)

someone else do the AL? But Porter, you do such a good job with these and I really need to see an ALCS preview post that proclaims (probably rightfully so) how badly I'm gonna get my ass kicked...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: NLCS Preview: Pittsburgh (98-67) vs Arizona (98-68)

After looking really bad like the Giants in the LDS. I would like to abstain lol.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)