Thread: Playoff Preview: Arizona (95-67) vs Philly (98-64)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Forecast Playoff Preview: Arizona (95-67) vs Philly (98-64)

Season Series: Arizona won series 4-2.

How they got here: Philly won the NL East for the 1st time ever. Arizona locked up their 2nd straight WC.

Probable Matchups: (Projected on edcuated guess)
    Game 1: Daniel Saunders (21-8, 3.81 ERA) vs Robert Couch (20-7, 2.75)
    Game 2: James Petrey (15-8, 4.10) vs Austin Treadwell (18-9, 2.99)
    Game 3: Pedro Batista (13-13, 4.62) vs Abram Fisher (11-10, 4.08)
    Game 4: Daniel Saunders vs Robert Couch
    Game 5: James Petrey vs Austin Treadwell

Position Matchup

Catcher: Carl Holmes (ARI) vs Juan Zubri (PHI)
    Juan Zubri is better known as a defensive catcher with a great arm and can hit for decent contact. While Zubri's OPS is slightly higher than Holmes. Holmes brings a much different element that no other catcher has. He stole 52 of 62 bases this season. Edge: Arizona, Holmes has played in all 162 games this season.

1st Base: Michael Cox/Weldon Ackermann (ARI) vs. Ryan Anders (PHI)
    While Ryan Anders is the best of this bunch. Its still a weak point for both teams. Edge: Push. Anders is the best player. Ackermann has the best production of all 3.

2nd Base: Ricky Ornelas (ARI) vs Romeo Gimenez (PHI)
    New guard vs old guard here. While Ornelas has been super solid in his swan song for Arizona. Romeo has pretty much carried the Phillies the last 2 months of the season. Edge: Philly, and its not even close when you add the .992 Fielding for Romeo.

3rd Base: Richard Vanvalkenberg (ARI) vs Juan Ozuna (PHI)
    Sure Ozuna is hitting .336 with a .911 OPS to go with it. Richard Vanvalkenberg in last two season has accomplished: 40 HR, 100 RBIs, 100 R, 100 BB, and 30 SBs. Edge: Arizona, Dr. Excitement has been more valuable than ever after monster year.

Shortstop: Jeff Ward (ARI) vs George Ware (PHI)
    Ware hit 30 HRs and had 20 SBs. Ward has been steady this season but hes not on Ware's level. Edge: Philly, Not even close right now.

Left Field: Alex Morabito (ARI) vs Chris Benninger (PHI)
    Chris Benninger would be a beast if Philly ran him more. Morabito is on a major decline but still had a productive year. Edge: Even. If Philly ran more, id give the edge to Benninger.

Center Field: JC Carillo (ARI) vs Dennis Vaughn (PHI)
    JC Carillo has been clutch all season for the DBacks. To boot, he almost equaled Vaughn's production in 350 less ABs. Vaughn might have 67 stolen bases but his OPS is 204 points less than JC's. Edge: Arizona, don't even try to fight this argument.

Right Field: Bill Sato (ARI) vs Gabriel Caparros/Geraldo Cartagena (PHI).
    Bill Sato would be a MVP Candidate if Barbosa didn't go nuts on the NL Pitching. Edge: Arizona by miles.

Starting Pitching: Philly by miles.

Middle Relief: Philly

Closer: Push, Both Deshazo and Daingeault have been stellar this season and have over 40 saves each.

Outlook: Philly does bring in the worst offense by runs scored but the best pitching. Arizona bring in one the more balanced attacks. But Couch and Treadwell could prove to be too much. Philly in 4.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Re: Playoff Preview: Arizona (95-67) vs Philly (98-64)

I hope your right. The analysis seems to be fair. My roto is different though. I am banking on Utterback to win key games now in hopes of having Couch and Treadwell as the 1-2 punch and well rested in the LCS. Utterback has a great home ERA. Hopefully the bullpen comes through as well since Utterback has only 5 stamina.

Good Luck!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

(pssst, they already happened OM)
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Yeah, Porter just told me... The deadline was 10 PM tonight, so I don't feel like too much of a dumbass.