Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Offseason Ramblings

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito
    Bohon has vastly underachieved for about four seasons in a row now. Actually, aside from a half season, he's been mediocre.
    he turned it up in the playoffs, and he plays every outfield position well, so it adds to his value. nonetheless, i think 8 mil wouldve been fair market value if we had just went with what we had and added no foreigners.

i made out pretty well too in free agency, so perhaps i too am biased, but i agree that this shouldnt be an every year thing.

I love the idea. I haven't been as excited about free agency since my first run as an owner.

Basically, if this was done as a shot in the arm every two or three years, we wouldn't get too spoiled with talent (to turn into Crazy's), but owners like me will have motivation to spend money. I wanted to last year, but there wasn't anything I liked.

And yes, there have been a lot of overpayments (I'm guilty at least once with Agosto, maybe twice with Joines), but it would be just as bad with normal FA (different players, definitely Joines and Quijada and Torres and so on).

Basically, I think if mission gave no warning when he was going to boost a pool and do it when he feels the league needs it, it would be most fair. I wouldn't trust most people to do that, but mission's legit
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty happy adding some pieces to this team, mostly one year deals that won't affect my finances in the long run. Sauceda was a cheap sign, nice innings hog and I don't like Edwin Jax's propensity to walk nearly 100 a season. Just need to work on 2B, I don't like Karl's makeup.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

For Bohon, I don't think he's an eight-million dollar guy...but it isn't an egregious overpayment. You just have to believe a guy with 7 contact (6 v. RHP even) would hit over .250 annually, and if it happens, great. He has a lot of enviable skills (specifically his RF ability), above average lefty hitting, and no real weaknesses except for his VIncons

Obviously, he hasn't hit .250, like, ever, but it confuses me

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I liked the additional FA's, especially the under 30 ones. That added alot of competition to free agency. Also, I figure some jackass would have lopped a multi year deal for an insane amount money to Pena and Torres otherwise. Glad the attention was divided.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Bohon doesn't make much contact... look at the total number of strikeouts and walks, and then look the fact he's only cracked 100 hits three times. Doesn't hit many doubles and doesn't hit enough homeruns to make up for the lack of mostly everything else. If anything, he's just a platoon guy, who can draw a walk in a pinch and play late inning defense.
    Ted

I would like to see it again, just not on an annual basis. I think mission NAILED free agency this year. The right amount of talent, the right level of talent in signable guys, and even the rules were regulatory without being restrictive. It was a great FA period with a good mix of ages, although adding anyone under 25 with the Washi deal (and to a lesser extent the Pena one) seems, well, risky.

Bohon's an odd case. If you're paying on stats, it's a big overpayment. But on ratings and skills, I think it's justified. If Anaheim can get a performance similar to his skills out of him, it's probably worth it

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I really wasnt going to go for Pena until my #1 target was Armando Cortes and i lost out on him to Molina's offer (which beat me by 1.25 M). I really like my front 3 who all have 9 contact (one of them is the reigning batting champ.) If they can peform to that contact Ollie Sanchez will have 115+ RBIs I think.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    But since he's really never done it before in his career, it's hard to justify that a 30 something will suddenly play up to his talent. And he will probably never make much contact against righties and you know they make up most of the league. It's a gamble, certainly. A safer bet would have been to just keep Tom Sizemore around longer.

I wouldn't let the Washi or Pena deal change putting youngsters in. There were other ones that didn't get outrageous deals. Pretty much, you'll never avoid a free agency without bad deals, unless Mission became a fascist dictator.
    Ted

The Pena deal, at least was justifiable for most of the value. The Washi deal bothers me. He's a 9-6-6 RP IIRC, which is decent but not amazing. If he was 30, he would have gotten 1.2 mil per for 3 or something. He was 21, so it's big.

I would limit the amount of super-young, almost prospect like pros. But that's me.

And I tend to agree with you on Bohon, my offer was half the value and half the length originally, but I see where each side is coming from.

And Cortes is a ***** for not waiting as he would have gotten at least 6 mil from me.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    By the way, if anyone hasn't noticed, there's a very very nice SP crop in this season's ammy class. 9 potential studs!
    Ted

Yeah, the SP crop is great and if I didn't have a mid-20's pick, I'd be excited

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    6 9 6..... HOWEVER, he has a freakish ground ball rate (85%!!!). And plays in Petco. Scary. Also throws four pitches. Bad deal, I agree, but.. he might be in the right environment for his talent.
    Ted

Wow, that GB% is ridiculous. Does he throw underhand? Does he roll it to the plate? He has a lot to like, but even when all is said and done, it's a 2.5 RP who got 4 mil. We both agree it's a bad deal, I had 800k per for 5, I would have though a 1.5 per for 5 is justifiable. But, man, you have an older guy like Stumm who hasn't signed anywhere yet who is one overall point worse with endurance...

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast