Thread: Graffanino placed on waivers

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Graffanino placed on waivers

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Unable to find a suitable offer for Tony Graffanino, and uninterested in taking the financial hit to cut him or keep him, the Sox have placed the spare second baseman on waivers.
    At least a few teams -- including the Mets, Cardinals, and Cubs -- are believed to be interested in Graffanino. But his 2006 cost ($2.05 million) and difficulties at the plate apparently convinced teams not to give up anything for him that sufficiently interested the Sox. In 12 spring games, he's hitting .182 (6 for 32) with 2 doubles and 2 RBIs. The Sox have showcased him at first, second, and third base this spring.
    The Sox had to make a decision on Graffanino this week, or risk being on the hook for the full $2.05 million. As a player signed through the arbitration process, Graffanino's contract remains nonguaranteed. As of now, the Sox could cut him and owe him 45 days termination pay, which amounts to $512,500. However, his deal becomes guaranteed in full Wednesday.
    ''It's been very difficult," Graffanino said yesterday. ''Once I knew I wasn't going to be on this club, I wanted to leave as soon as I could. Right now my hope, I guess, is somebody claims me or a trade still works out."
    Look out Brewers, DanO is in the FO somewhere and he loves second baseman.

Anyhow, any Cards fans interested in him?

They wish he was a Cardinal. Graff is awesome.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I definitely read that wrong. Since I posted it, I changed it around. Thanks for the heads up.

So Cards fans, do you want this guy?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    He's a Royal now I think the Cards have enough to choose from between Miles, Spivey and Luna.