Thread: Cards have too much SP?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Cards have too much SP?

Watching Sidney Ponson on ESPN Wednesday was illuminating. He just LOOKED like a workhorse starting pitcher -– a big strong guy with pop and movement on his pitches.

Ponson threw some runaway fastballs and left some balls up, which is always a concern. But he also changed speeds, got lots of groundball outs and looked like a guy that could pitch all day.

General manager Walt Jocketty didn’t really need another starting pitcher, but Ponson was too good of a bargain to pass on. Similar bargains were scarce among relief pitchers, a greater team need, and among outfielders.

As Ponson progresses this spring, Jocketty gains confidence in his surplus of starting pitching. How many other teams have five strong starting pitchers, much less a surplus?
    http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...1?OpenDocument

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well too much pitching is a luxury trust me. I am starting to wonder if Ponson may miraculously get his game back.

Have you guys heard anything about possible deals with your SP?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It's great to have a surplus of starting pitching. Now whether or not it's a surplus of quality pitching, is a whole nother story.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    There's nothing wrong with having too many starting pitching. As long as you have the power in the lineup, which the Cards do, you're set.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yeah but what if the Crads could get even more power in that lineup by dealing a 6th SP? They have to find the right deal, but it may happen.

Husker, you wouldn't want to lose any SP right now?

Also KOZ I have never actually seen someone type out the word "nother" before. Nicely done.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Of all the starting pitchers, deal Ponson. I have no idea why Jocketty signed him to a contract. I have my doubts on Ponson despite his success so far in spring training. Trade him for some infield power will help the lineup.

MLB ERA
    Ponson by himself counts as having too much pitching. Jesus, he's a fat judge-punching drunk.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Deal Ponson? Does anyone actually believe that he's going to have success when the games count? Doubtful. He wouldn't net you John McDonald, much less a valuable player.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I am in interest of seeing this guy turn it back around. I agree that he has fallen way off, but he could just as well get it back. He may have had a great off season plan and stuck with it and is seeing the benefits now.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Ponson is having a good spring and will likely be the fifth starter with Reyes in AAA. Just saw Reyes pitch and he did well. He threw strikes with a lot of movement. He did give up a couple of long balls but overall looked good.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yeah I am really up on Reyes as well. I hear he has a plus curveball and sinker. I just hope he can stay healthy. If he can, he may battle Ponson for that 5th spot.