MILWAUKEE -- Scott Rolen gets philosophical when he discusses his offense, often talking about being in position to hit more than about the hits themselves. However, now that he has a few more hits this year to talk about, he admits that results are nice as well.
Rolen awakened from a season-long slump on Saturday afternoon as the Cardinals beat the Brewers, 5-3, at Miller Park. After entering the game 4-for-32 (.125) on the year, Rolen rapped three hits, including a two-run first-inning homer that put St. Louis on the board.

"I don't go into the game overly result-oriented all the time, but I was kind of on the schneid there for a while," Rolen said. "Some results can help build some confidence and take a little heat off. The home run in the first inning, that lets you take a deep breath and the monkey jumps off your back a little bit."

It was Rolen's first homer and second extra-base hit of the year, and it capped a seven-pitch at-bat in which he saw just his second 3-2 count of the young season.

"I haven't been seeing the ball well," said Rolen. "My last at-bat (Friday), I felt a little better. I came into the clubhouse today and changed some things around, played a little pepper with (hitting coach Hal McRae). I saw the ball better, felt more confident, took strong swings today. Not all of them, but some of them."

Rolen wasn't the only Cardinal to enjoy a strong game. The defending National League champions probably played their best all-around game of the season.

Chris Carpenter (2-1) breezed through six innings before running into trouble in the seventh, thanks to a double and two walks. He still emerged with a quality start and a victory. The Redbirds played fine defense, ran the bases well and converted on most of their offensive chances -- though they did leave 12 men on base.

"We did a lot of things," said manager Tony La Russa. "We played defense -- David (Eckstein) made one great play, others real good; Scott knocked a ball down, so defensively a strong game. Some good execution. We got a couple home runs. It was a complete game."

Brady Clark's two-bagger in the seventh off reliever Al Reyes led to all three runs that were charged to Carpenter, who at one point retired nine straight Brewers on ground balls. In total, the right-hander recorded 12 groundouts against two flyouts.

"I was sinking the ball down in the zone and, for the most part, all day I was hitting my spots," Carpenter said. "My offspeed stuff was good when I needed it. That last inning, I got away from my game plan a little bit."

Carpenter was less than delighted to be removed with two out and three of his own runners on base, taking a look back as he walked off the field. But the hurler refused to quibble with La Russa's decision afterward.

"I want to compete, man. That's just the way it is," Carpenter said. "It's not my call. That's skip's call. I respect everything that he does, so I'm not concerned about it. I pitch until they take the ball from me, no matter if I like it or not."

With two out and a full count in the first, Rolen lined a Doug Davis (2-1) offering into the visitors bullpen in left field, giving the Cards a 2-0 lead. Albert Pujols pummeled a solo shot 420 feet two innings later, and the Cards tacked on single runs on Damian Miller's fourth-inning throwing error and a So Taguchi single in the seventh.

St. Louis rapped out 10 base hits, with the 2-7 hitters in the order all picking up at least one knock.

"They put good swings on everything I threw up there," Davis said. "Everything."

Milwaukee made the game interesting with a three-run bottom of the seventh, but Randy Flores, Julian Tavarez and Jason Isringhausen held the Brewers off the board in the eighth and ninth. Isringhausen recorded his fourth save.

The win moved St. Louis into first place in the NL Central, and knocked Milwaukee out of the top spot.