Thread: Pujols on a roll this spring

I'm a Cardinals Freak StlCards4ever515's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Cardinals Pujols on a roll this spring

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. -- Albert Pujols has had a torrid spring.
    In 64 plate appearances before Friday night's game, he had yet to strike out. The last time a player has gone all spring without fanning was 2003, when Eric Young made 68 plate appearances with Milwaukee without striking out.

Pujols is batting .455 this spring, including hitting safely in his last five at-bats prior to Friday night's game against the Baltimore Orioles in Oklahoma City. Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said his star is the best hitter in the game.

"I'm prejudiced," La Russa said, "but there isn't anybody in baseball better than Albert Pujols."

Cardinals outfielder Jim Edmonds agrees.

"There's no doubt he is one [of the best], if not the premiere player in the league," Edmonds said. "He's an unbelievable talent."

Pujols is second in the National League in batting average, leading the league in slugging percentage (.909) and third in on base percentage (.500) this spring.

Carpenter feeling good: Cardinals pitcher Chris Carpenter hasn't appeared to be bothered this spring by the right biceps strain and nerve irritation in his upper arm that sidelined him for the final two weeks of the 2004 regular season and postseason.

In 26 innings pitched this spring, Carpenter fanned 25 batters, the most spring strikeouts by a Cardinals pitcher since Todd Stottlemyre fanned 31 in 1997.

Carpenter is the Cardinals' slated Opening Day starter at Houston on Tuesday.

Final cuts: The Cardinals have 28 players still in camp trying to make the 25-man Major League roster: They include 13 pitchers, two catchers, six outfielders and six infielders.

Pitchers Mike Lincoln and Matt Morris are expected to begin the season on the disabled list, so St. Louis will have to make one cut before Opening Day.

Oklahoma ties: The Cardinals have a large fan base in Oklahoma, where they once had a Triple-A affiliate in Tulsa in the 1970s. The two-game series with Baltimore in Oklahoma City was the fifth time the Cardinals have played exhibition baseball in Oklahoma City, the first time in 12 years.

Attendance at Friday night's game at the Bricktown Ballpark (13,066) was the fifth-largest for a Major League exhibition contest in Oklahoma City.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I love how much faith LaRussa has in Pujols. And frankly, Pujols deserves the recognition. A gifted athlete that can flat out mash. Great player and you Cards fans are lucky to have such a talent.

AAA ERA
    well put

MLB ERA
    Man, Pujols is always on a roll.

AA ERA
    Yea I don't like Pujols because he kills the Cubs.

But other games I like him.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by awefullspellare
    Yea I don't like Pujols because he kills the Cubs.
    It seems like Pujols kills everyoine.