Thread: Cards might add lefty...

Rookie ERA

Cards might add lefty...

Stanton unlikely to join team, Wagner rumors surface

DETROIT -- While rumors swirl that the Cardinals may sign veteran reliever Mike Stanton, two Cardinals representatives indicated on Tuesday that such a move was unlikely. Stanton, 38, was recently released by the Yankees.
    The New York Daily News reported on Tuesday that Stanton had likely already agreed to a deal either with the Cardinals or Nationals. However, a Cardinals executive indicated that no deal was in place, and pitching coach Dave Duncan suggested that Stanton would not be a perfect fit for the Cardinals.

Ray King and Randy Flores have formed an effective left-handed tandem for the Cards so far this season. King sports a 2.52 ERA, including 1.50 since the start of June, and has been pitching more effectively over the past six weeks or so than earlier in the season. Flores has struggled in his last two outings -- one before going on the disabled list, immediately upon his return -- but overall has enjoyed an excellent season.

The Cardinals' field staff does not consider Stanton to be clearly better at this point than either King or Flores. Duncan agreed with a suggestion that perhaps Stanton might be best served by going to the Minor Leagues to get sorted out. However, according to the Daily News, Stanton expects to be pitching for a Major League contender by this weekend.

Stanton made 28 appearances for the Yankees this season, putting up a 7.07 ERA in 14 innings pitched. In seven of his 28 games, Stanton failed to record an out. For his career, he's 58-52 with 76 saves and a 3.81 ERA.

Welcoming Wags? Another left-hander, however, could conceivably be making his way to St. Louis. Former Astro Billy Wagner, now closing games for Philadelphia, is a free agent after this season and has been mentioned in possible trade scenarios.

Cardinals closer Jason Isringhausen said that he and Wagner, who are both All-Stars, discussed the possibility of pitching in the same bullpen. Wagner said he would relish the chance.

"That would be pretty amazing," said Wagner. "Just being around him would probably make me better because of how calm and relaxed he seems when he's out there. It's always fun to talk to those guys, because I always feel like a wreck. Maybe he could help me to be better. It would be pretty interesting."

Minor matters: The Triple-A Memphis Redbirds announced that outfielder John Rodriguez was the Pacific Coast League's Player of the Week for July 4-10, and that right-hander Chris Gissell was the PCL's Pitcher of the Week for the same span. Gissell pitched a six-hit complete game with one unearned run to earn the award, while Rodriguez hit two grand slams among his five homers. Rodriguez went 9-for-24 with 15 RBIs.

Right-hander Blake Hawksworth made his second start for short-season New Jersey on Monday, allowing a hit and a walk with one strikeout over two shutout innings. Hawksworth, once considered the organization's top prospect, is attempting to recover from shoulder troubles.

Righty Mark McCormick, the Cards' supplemental first-round draft pick out of Baylor, made his professional debut for New Jersey on Sunday. McCormick pitched two scoreless, hitless innings, walking two and striking out three.
    Link Here

No good, no good (about Wagner going to the Cards).
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

*From ESPN Insider July 12*

If the Phillies fade out of contention in the days approaching July 31, Billy Wagner expects to be traded, the Philadelphia Daily News reports. "I definitely would be disappointed [if the Phillies are out of it] and I wasn't traded," Wagner told the newspaper. "[General manager] Ed Wade didn't bring me here to pitch for a team that's selling. It's unfathomable to think I wouldn't be traded if we don't have a chance for the wild card."

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Talk about a 1-2 punch, Wagner then Izzy! Wow, that would be unstoppable. I wonder how much the Phillies would demand for Wagner.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I can't concievably see him going anywhere.

Especially if he's going to setup someone who isn't as talented as him(IMO).