Thread: Edmonds to Return

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cardinals Edmonds to Return

Cardinals signed OF Jim Edmonds to a minor league contract.
    Interesting. Edmonds, of course, had his glory years in St. Louis as part of the "MV3" with Albert Pujols and Scott Rolen, but they parted ways when Jimmy felt he was still an everyday player and the Cards wanted to turn to Colby Rasmus. Edmonds had a solid .276/.342/.504 batting line with 11 homers over 246 at-bats for the Brewers and Reds this past season but battled a nagging Achilles injury down the stretch. He's not guaranteed a bench spot but seems likely to earn one, which might mean Jon Jay is ticketed for the minors to start the season. Edmonds will now have a chance to hit his 400th home run in a Cardinals uniform.
    It would be good to see Edmonds retire as a Cardinal. Its weird that they are just now getting him since they really could have used him at the deadline last year. It has been revealed that he had surgery on his Achilles and that no one knows just how healthy he is. I hope he is healthy enough to make the team.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Edmonds to Return

Edmonds' 2008 split stats with the Padres and the Cubs are really something.

Rookie ERA

I'll always have a good memory from Edmonds. I was at Wrigley's first ever throwback game in 2008 and he hit a solo shot to tie up the game in the bottom of the 9th. The Cubs ended up winning by a bases loaded HBP from Reed Johnson in extras.

I used to hate his guts when he was with the Cardinals before. But I have more respect for him now.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Jim Edmonds has ended his comeback bid and will officially retire from baseball.
    The Cardinals gave Edmonds a minor league contract and an invitation to spring training earlier this month, but he's still having problems with his surgically-repaired Achilles tendon and has now decided to shut it down. He will not be attempting a comeback. Edmonds, 40, will finish with 393 career homers and 1,949 career hits.
    This is a bummer. I was looking forward to Edmonds reaching the 400 HR, 2000 hit mark in a Cardinal uniform but it doesn't look like that will happen. I would still love to see him throw out the first pitch on Opening Day.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of Edmonds the person, but as a player he was great. The impact he seemed to have had on Jay Bruce in just a couple of months is quite something.