Thread: Name That Molina in STL

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cardinals Name That Molina in STL

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Joe Strauss, the Cardinals have "made it clear" to Bengie Molina that he's their preferred choice at backup catcher.
    Molina, 36, still hasn't decided if he's going to play another season. He's not going to get a starting job anywhere, but perhaps backup up his little brother, Yadier, in St. Louis would be a nice way to cap off his career. Molina is coming off a season where he hit just .249/.297/.326 with five homers over 377 at-bats, but he would be a fine addition in a backup role.
    For some reason, I love this idea. The Cards want more offense to back up Yadier and Bengie is no longer a full time catcher or at least he shouldn't be viewed as one. The Cards will definitely compete next year so that should entice Bengie not to retire, that and playing with his little brother. He knows how to call a good game so I like this fit for both sides.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Name That Molina in STL

According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, Bengie Molina could be interested in backing up his brother Yadier Molina in St. Louis.
    We heard about this possibility last month, but the Cardinals were apparently turned off by his exorbitant asking price. Things may have changed for him now that there aren't many catcher jobs available. Molina, 36, batted just .249/.297/.326 with five homers and 36 RBI over 377 at-bats between the Giants and Rangers last season.
    Yeah but the Cards have already sign Gerald Laird so I don't see how Bengie fits anymore.