Thread: The-Riot!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cardinals The-Riot!!

Cardinals acquired INF Ryan Theriot from the Dodgers for RHP Blake Hawksworth.
    Theriot was a near lock to be non-tendered by the Dodgers on Thursday, but it appears the Cardinals didn't want to take the chance of losing him to another team. Theriot, who turns 31 in December, earned $2.6 million this past season while batting .270/.321/.312 with two homers, 29 RBI and 20 stolen bases with the Cubs and Dodgers. Theriot gives the Cardinals some versatility for their middle infield, though he will likely slot in at second base.
    This makes absolutely no sense to me. Why traded a reliever for a guy who was most likely not going to be tendered a contract? Why not just wait two days and find out? I do like Theriot as a fit for this team but why give up anything for him? Theriot is most likely going to split time with Ryan at SS. This trade has not ruled out bringing Orlando Hudson in. Theriot at SS, Hudson at 2B and Skip platooning in RF with John Jay or Skip could be non-tendered. I like Skip and Jay in RF more than Jay and Allen Craig. Theriot can always go to second when Hudson gets hurt. Notice I didn't say IF he gets hurt.

Rookie ERA
    I've always disliked Theriot, but now I can hate him!
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: The-Riot!!

The Cardinals it seems, more than other NL Central teams, really likes to pick up ex-NL Central players. Lazy scouts?