Thread: La Russa: The Return of McGwire?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Cardinals La Russa: The Return of McGwire?

La Russa has done crazier things before I suppose. I can't see this happening, but it would be interesting if they do it in the hopes of getting him back on the ballot for a first time... again, hoping that some good deeds done in the coaching sphere wins favor back for him.

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa is excited about Mark McGwire's return to baseball as the team's hitting coach and raised the bizarre possibility of putting the former slugger on the active roster for use as a pinch-hitter.

"If we're in contention, we'll put him on the roster Aug. 31. It's a nice little dream," said La Russa, adding that he expects McGwire -- who dodged steroid questions before Congress and has been silent since accepting his new job with the Cardinals -- to address the media soon.

"Is it likely?" La Russa said of the pinch-hitting scenario. "Probably not. I don't think it's a zero possibility. The point is, you'll see him in spring training. He won't be leaning on the batting cage chatting it up. He'll work his (butt) off, and hitters will be thrilled he's there helping them."
    Cam Inman: Tony La Russa's dream is to have Mark McGwire return as pinch hitter - San Jose Mercury News

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: La Russa: The Return of McGwire?

It would freeze his HoF candidacy. If he played in 2010, he would have to wait 5 years to be considered again. He would have the same number of years left. Speculation is that he could do this as way for time to help him get in eventually. La Russa is going to do whatever he (La Russa) wants to do, too. We'll see. I wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: La Russa: The Return of McGwire?

I think it is a cool little ploy. Even if it is only for HOF reasons. I would definitely be tuning in to that AB. It would be amazing for baseball IMO.

I agree with you too Prov and Mish. This would would restart his HOF candidacy and they might luck up and see that 5 years from now, things could be totally different on the steroid front. Barry Bonds will be on the ballot by then, let him be the go to guy. He is one of the best players of all time. Best I have ever seen. If he doesn't get in, McGwire will know what to expect. If Bonds does get in, McGwire will have a real shot at it as well.