Thread: Does Prince Albert stay a Cardinal after 2011?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Cardinals Does Prince Albert stay a Cardinal after 2011?

I think that if he isn't, heads will roll in St. Louis. And I do believe that it isn't about the money, I don't think he is that type of guy, but I do believe that it will be about the years with the money. Pujols will want a contract that will make it so he doesn't have to think about contracts ever again. Obviously the Cardinals would like to hash something out with him now so they can see how far they can negotiate with Holliday without hurting their chances to go whatever distance Albert wants with his new deal.

I actually like that, I think we should take over the phrase "The New Deal" and use it to refer to the onslaught of Pujols contract talks we will hear about over the next year or two.
    The St. Louis Cardinals have expressed interest in extending Albert Pujols' contract during the winter, but the slugger is not in a hurry.

"I'm not desperate to sign a contract extension. I still have one year remaining in my contract for 2010 and a club option for 2011. I leave the rest in God's hands," Pujols told a Dominican radio station (CDN 92.5 FM) Wednesday during an interview on the sports program "Manana Deportiva."

Pujols signed a seven-year contract for $100 million after the 2003 season, but the two-time MVP said money will not be the central issue in his next contract.

"We have not sat down to talk about contracts yet. Last week, the GM [John Mozeliak] called me and I told them to talk to my lawyer. But I reiterate that money is not everything, it's better to have a competitive team that can go to the postseason," he added.

Pujols, 29, hit .327 with 47 home runs and 135 RBIs this season for the Cardinals, and is a heavy favorite to win the National League MVP.

However, the 2008 and 2005 NL MVP still gets nervous when speaking of the award.

"Let's wait. I'd rather not talk about it, but I can tell you that I had a good season and I deserve it, but also Prince Fielder and Ryan Howard," he said.

Pujols indicated that he will undergo an MRI exam next week to check the status of his elbow, which was operated on last winter.

"It's just a routine that I do when the season is over to make sure that everything is OK. I feel good, but it's something I will confirm," he said.

Pujols lamented that the Cardinals were swept in the first round of the postseason by the Los Angeles Dodgers.

"I didn't think we would be swept, but only God knows what will happen to you," he said.

Pujols' prediction is that the Dodgers will advance to the World Series to face the Los Angeles Angels.

"I know the Yankees and Philadelphia have good teams, but my favorites for the World Series are the Dodgers and the Angels," he said.
    Albert Pujols in no hurry to talk extension with St. Louis Cardinals - ESPN

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Does Prince Albert stay a Cardinal after 2011?

As long as the Cards keep putting up competitive teams, Pujols is a lifer much like Stan the Man. Pujols is right not to be in a hurry since they just got swept in a very disappointing fashion. LaRussa and Duncan have a lot to say in what Pujols does as well I think. Pujols knows the great work Duncan does and the good work LaRussa does so that will play a part in it.

MLB ERA

Re: Does Prince Albert stay a Cardinal after 2011?

He's a lifer.