Thread: Cards Seriously Looking Into Holliday?

MLB ERA

Cardinals Cards Seriously Looking Into Holliday?

MLB trade: St. Louis Cardinaks, Oakland Athletics talking Matt Holliday trade - ESPN

According to Buster Olney, the Cardinals are somewhat seriously considering trading top prospect Brett Wallace for Matt Holliday. Seems a bit risky to me, seeing as how holliday is having a down year, is a rental player, and if I'm not mistaken has Boras as an agent, and is therefore unlikely to give them a break negotiating an extension. One scout said the likelihood of this deal happening is "50/50". Thoughts?

MLB ERA

Re: Cards Seriously Looking Into Holliday?

Per Rotoworld

Sources have informed SI.com's Jon Heyman that Cardinals manager Tony La Russa "badly" wants A's outfielder Matt Holliday.

This rumor is picking up steam and credibility pretty quickly. La Russa was also pushing for the Cardinals to acquire Holliday last season, and it's hard to blame him. The manager is acutely aware that his club needs a bat behind Albert Pujols. But giving up top prospect Brett Wallace seems misguided.
    Well, Holliday would certainly be helpful to the Cardinals, help them become more of a powerhouse. However, the question is if he'd resign, because trading a top prospect who's hitting as well as Wallace is for 2 months of Holliday could be really risky.

MLB ERA

The Cardinals are close to acquiring Matt Holliday from the Cardinals for Brett Wallace and two other players, according to ESPN.com's Tim Kurkjian. Outfielder Shane Peterson and righty Clayton Mortensen are also headed to Oakland if the deal goes through.
    It's unclear who would pay Holliday the remaining $6MM on his contract should the teams complete a trade.
    Sounds like an interesting trade. I don't know much about Peterson or Mortenson, but it seems like a trade that could be solid for both sides. Especially if Wallace's numbers in AAA this year translate well into the future...and if Holliday can re-find his power stroke.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I still don't like the idea of giving up the top prospect in your system for someone that may not resign with your team.

That being said, Holliday I am sure would love to get out of the situation he is in (Oakland, sorry prov) and get into the thick of things with a playoff contender.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Foster View Post
    I still don't like the idea of giving up the top prospect in your system for someone that may not resign with your team.

That being said, Holliday I am sure would love to get out of the situation he is in (Oakland, sorry prov) and get into the thick of things with a playoff contender.
    But I assume it's St Louis' intention to offer Holliday arbitration, and either resign him for a "fair" amount, or get 2 draft picks out of it.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Cardinals acquire Matt Holliday

Yahoo! Sports baseball reporter Tim Brown has confirmed that A's left fielder Matt Holliday is bound for St. Louis.

Its now official.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Got an text from ESPNMobile confirming that a deal is done(Crediting Buster Olney).

He's a big help for St. Louis, but this trade depends on how his numbers look, and if he resigns. I'm going to assume that Holliday would play LF, right?

So Holliday, Rasmus, Ludwick, DeRosa, Ryan/Lugo, Schumaker, Pujols, Yadier?

I guess that makes sense.

MLB ERA

That's what it seems like it would be. That's a pretty good lineup there if everyone is healthy and performing...