Outlook:

Pitching:
    starting rotation
    1) Adam Wainwright
    2) Kyle Lohse
    3) Todd Wellemeyer
    4) Chris Carpenter
    5) Joel Pineiro

When Chris Carpenter is healthy, he is one of the best pitchers in baseball. Adam Wainwright improves each year, and is close to becoming one of the best pitchers in baseball as well. If these two can stay healthy, then the Cardinals will have a good chance at winning the division.

Lohse, Wellemeyer, and Piniero will be good back of the rotation starters. Each of the three have the potential to be very good.

Closer:
    Jason Motte

Motte and Perez can both become the Cardinals closer of the future. I really couldn't tell you which one will have more success, but it appears as if Motte will get the first chance to prove that he can be a regular big league closer. He has the intensity to be a good closer, but only time will tell if he can be a lights out closer. I think he has a good chance of it.

Infield:
    C Yadier Molina
    1B Albert Pujols
    2B Skip Schumaker
    3B David Freese

Molina and Pujols are mainstays in the Cardinals infield, but they are the only ones that are returning to their positions. Skip Schumaker is making the huge change from an Outfielder to an everyday second baseman. I like this move, because we do need Skip in the line-up. He is our leadoff hitter, and he is the only outfielder that we have that has a chance of making such a huge position change. Khalil Green is a great addition to the infield. His glove will help, and his bat will be a great improvement over what we've had recently from that position. Third base is a bigger question. David Freese will start, and could be very good. Joe Mather will start in Triple A, but could be brought up if he does well and Freese falters. I don't expect Glaus back anytime soon, so we'll have to wait and see how third base plays out for the Cards this year.

Outfield:
    LF Chris Duncan
    CF Rick Ankiel
    RF Ryan Ludwick

I really think that Chris Duncan will have a breakout year this season. Last year was lost due to an injury. He has been good when he was healthy. This year he could get a chance to shine. Rick Ankiel is always good, but still has room to improve. Ryan Ludwick is the big question. I just don't know what to think of him. He could be as good as he was last year, but I'm afraid to think that 2008 was a fluke year for him. If Ludwick has a down year, we have Colby Rasmus ready to take over in the outfield. Rasmus has made the team this year, so he should get a chance to prove that he deserves a starting job.

Summary:
    A lot of the Cardinals hopes for the 2009 season relies on the health of Chris Carpenter. If Carp stays healthy, then this team is very strong, and could compete for a division title.

Crazy's NL Central prediction:
    1) St. Louis
    2) Chicago
    3) Cincinnati
    4) Milwaukee
    5) Houston
    6) Pittsburgh

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: 2009 St. Louis Cardinals Preview

Rasmus should be in CF, Ludwick in LF and Ankiel in RF. Schumaker will really struggle at second and your prediction that they will win the Central is like your name, crazy.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

What about Brian Barton? Sent down to Triple A for the seasoning that he didn't get last year due to the Rule 5 restrictions?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sent down because the OF is crowded and they need players to help at third and second.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    What about Brian Barton? Sent down to Triple A for the seasoning that he didn't get last year due to the Rule 5 restrictions?
    Right, Rasmus made the team instead.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    What about Brian Barton?
    Brian Barden made the team