Thread: A new closer candidate?

MLB ERA

Rumor A new closer candidate?

General manager John Mozeliak could not say Tuesday if a recent ruling regarding a potential "sign-and-trade" of a Type A free agent such as reliever Juan Cruz would affect his stance on pursuing additional pitching help.

"I don't know for certain if it's as simple as some are portraying it," Mozeliak said.

The commissioner's office recently ruled that teams may circumvent sacrificing their first-round pick in the upcoming amateur draft as compensation for signing a "Type A," or top-tier free agent offered arbitration by his former club.

One team could negotiate a deal with a player's agent, then arrange for his previous team to carry out the signing.

In Cruz's case, the Arizona Diamondbacks would technically "re-sign" the pitcher, then "trade" him for a prospect or major-league player.

The team on the other end of the trade keeps its first-round draft pick; the "signing" team is compensated in different form for its free-agent loss.

"A lot of it would depend on the kind of player you have to give up," Mozeliak said.

The Cardinals cited the loss of the draft pick as a major obstacle to pursuing Cruz, whom manager Tony La Russa earlier this winter projected as a closer candidate.
    I wouldn't touch Cruz if he would cost our 1st rounder. If the Cards can sign him without giving up a 1st rounder, then go for it.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: A new closer candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights View Post
    If the Cards can sign him without giving up a 1st rounder, then go for it.
    But it's not possible.

Correction: Only now I learned sign-and-trades are allowed.

MLB ERA

Re: A new closer candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    But it's not possible.

Correction: Only now I learned sign-and-trades are allowed.
    Right, that's what the entire article is about.