Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skip Schumaker

MLB ERA

Player Skip Schumaker

This has been a rumor for the last couple of months. Apparently there is some truth to it. I like this idea. Schumaker is a very good defensive outfielder. He is probably the best defensive outfielder on the team. The Cardinals have a surplus of outfielders, and it will be tough for players like Mather and Schumaker to get playing time if Rasmus is ready this year. If Skip can do well at second base, which is a weak area for the Cardinals, then that makes the team that much stronger.

Schumaker is going to get a good bit of work at second base this spring, not only to add depth to the club and versatility to his game for 2009, but to open up some possibilities in 2010 and beyond.

"They just kind of mentioned it to me, threw it out there a little bit," Schumaker said. "They told me its Kennedy's job, and they expect him to come to Spring Training and it's his job. But they told me to be ready and take ground balls there. If it's a utility thing, where I take some balls here and there and also play the outfield, it's more valuable to the team."

The long view for Schumaker, though, is a different situation. Kennedy's contract ends after 2009, and the Cardinals will need a second baseman at that time. No one is committing to the idea of Schumaker being that player, but it's easy to see the connection.

"I see this as going into the future," Schumaker said. "We have a guy [Kennedy] that's done it before. Everybody knows he's done it before. I know he's looking to rebound. I hit with him a few days a week. I know he's working hard and getting ready for spring also. But I do know his contract's up [after 2009] and I do know there could be an opportunity there for me."

Barring a trade of one of their outfielders, a position switch might be the most elegant solution to the Cards' glut.

"There's a couple ways to look at it," said general manager John Mozeliak. "One is where he hits in the lineup. Two is how he performed last year. So if he could move that type of offensive production to second base, he'd definitely become more valuable, especially for a team that ultimately is deep in the outfield."

So Schumaker will be a very busy man this spring. He'll be working extra hours with coaches Jose Oquendo and Joe Pettini while also putting in his regular time in the outfield and at the plate.

"If I go there, I don't want to be bad there," Schumaker said. "I want to take it and do something with it. I don't want to be just adequate."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Skip Schumaker

I don't see this being a factor. A trade needs to be made and hopefully it will.

MLB ERA

a trade for a second baseman? i really don't think so. a trade for a starting pitcher and closer, sure, but not for a second baseman. if Skip can learn to play second base well, then that would help the team. we still have to pay Kennedy for one more year, so trading for a second baseman wouldn't make a lot of sense IMO.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

First off I was saying to trade one of the OFers instead of forcing them to move positions. But since you brought it up, why not trade for a second baseman? Because of Kennedy? That's a dumb reason not to try and better your team. Cards have plenty of pieces to move to get a starter and a second baseman. Cards have still done nothing to better this club.

MLB ERA

Pitching is much higher on their list than a second baseman. What's wrong with giving Schumaker a chance at 2B?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

What's good about it? You yourself said he is the best defensive Ofer but you want to move him to second. Who is to say he can even pull it off? Like I said, the Cardinals have plenty of pieces to pull off a trade for a pitcher and second baseman. Not to mention Orlando Hudson is still out there.

MLB ERA

Well, if he's the only OF that can move to 2B(because he's the best defensive OF), then what else would you do? This allows you to play all 3 OF AND Schumaker without having to bench any offensive forces, and while the defense wouldn't be AS good, it (assuming Schumaker can competently play 2B) would be serviceable.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Well, if he's the only OF that can move to 2B(because he's the best defensive OF), then what else would you do? This allows you to play all 3 OF AND Schumaker without having to bench any offensive forces, and while the defense wouldn't be AS good, it (assuming Schumaker can competently play 2B) would be serviceable.
    You make a trade like I have been saying all along. Or sign a Orlando Hudson and move Kennedy to the bench where he belongs. Brendan Ryan can play second better than Schumaker. Just because Schumaker MIGHT be able to play second base doesn't mean he should. What kind of logic is that? I'm sure Jeter could play CF if he wanted but he shouldn't. Cards already have "serviceable", they need good.

MLB ERA

The point is that Kennedy and Brendan Ryan are not as good hitters. Hudson isn't happening, get over it. So what other option allows them to play Ludwick, Schumaker, Ankiel, and Duncan?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Get over it? So just stick an OFer in at second is the answer? That's the better answer than the Cards getting a true second baseman FOR THE FUTURE? And I guess I should scrap the trade part of it to because you said so? I guess if I just get over it, I am supposed to just agree with you even though its the third best option right now? Good lord man! And just why in the hell should Chris Duncan ever play over Skip Schumaker?? Kennedy and Ryan aren't as good of hitters and Shumaker is most likely (barring a miracle) not as good of a fielder as them two. For having a pretty mediocre pitchign staff, I would want all the defense I want. That includes keeping Duncan out of the lineup!

MLB ERA

I may be mistaken, but I think the Cardinals are a mainly flyball pitching staff, so in that case IF defense isn't as important. Plus, if your defense is already mediocre, sacrificing a little in order to improve the offense to provide more run support for the pitchers isn't as bad an idea as you're making it seem.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You always need good defense up the middle!!! Infield defense (along with all around defense) is extremely important. Pitchers rely on double play balls, especially Carpenter.

What makes it look bad is that the Cards are not willing to get real solutions for their ball club. Have no room for Schumaker (if Rasmus win the CF job)? Package him and trade him for the pitching they sorely need. Need an upgrade at second and for long term? Sign Orlando Hudson. Need a good, quality backup at second? Sign Ray Durham.

Instead the Cards give you this. Have no room for Schumaker (even though there is)? Let's move him to a position he's never had played before. Need an upgrade at second? Hope that an OFer can do it. Need a closer? Have faith in the relievers we got.

No real solutions. So as I say, the best bet for the Cards is to make a trade for a pitcher and sign a second baseman. Hudson would be ideal because he plays good defense, hits well and is a longer term option.

Letting Miles go was a dumb move too. and now looks even dumber.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

And that took me 30 minutes or so to post because my internet sucked! Had to write it twice and copy and paste twice

MLB ERA

Orlando Hudson is 31, doesn't want to go to Saint Louis, and wants money the Cardinals don't have(or at least don't want to spend). Why are you so set on them signing him?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Hudson doesn't want to play in St. Louis? Since when???? You bunk buddies with him no?? You think he wants to go to the Nationals over St. Louis?? Hudson is 31 and a much better option than anyone the Cards have right now. I'm set on signing him because it is the best option for them to get better at the position in question!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast