Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Skip Schumaker

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Skip Schumaker

Yeah Jocketty was so bad in getting guys like Wainwright and drafting Colby Rasmus. That Mark Mulder trade propelled the the Cards into the World Series. Remember a guy named Albert Pujols?? Yeah he drafted him too. Jocketty went to two World Series and won one of them. Most of this Cards team is Jocketty's. Jocketty would have seen that the NL Central is weaker this season and would have done something to better the team instead of sitting on his thumbs. "J-Mo" just traded a Cards first round pick in Mark Worrell for one year of Khalil Greene, a oft-injured SS who strikes out a ton. Mozeliak has done a good job with the draft but has done nothing to help this team win now. You can do both. The Cards missed the playoffs in consecutive years for the first time since '98-99. Again, when players see good ballplayers sign for pennies elsewhere it sends a bad message to the team. That's why Pujols said what he did. If He leaves Schumaker at second and doesn;t sign or trade for someone, it will send an even worse message.

MLB ERA

Your right, Jocketty would have made some huge moves if he was the Cards GM. What exactly has he done this winter in Cincinnati?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Totally different teams with different resources. At least he has filled holes for the Reds instead of the exact opposite.

Someone made a good point on the Cards missing out on Hudson. If they signed Hudson to a multi-year deal, the Cards would have saved $1-1.5 million since they wouldn't have to give a bonus to their draft pick. With no one in their system (or current team) that can play everyday second base, it would have been a wise move. If the Cards sign someone to play second, my anger will subside a tad but as is, this has been a terrible offseason. I am sure LaRussa is extremely pissed off.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    With no one in their system (or current team) that can play everyday second base, it would have been a wise move. If the Cards sign someone to play second, my anger will subside a tad but as is, this has been a terrible offseason.
    They do have someone in the system that can play 2B everyday. His name is Schumaker.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

That is the funniest shit I have read in a while!!! Now its a foregone conclusion that Schumaker can be the everyday second baseman because.......well there is absolutely no reason to think he can. I mean, he's never played there at a high level before if ever. It takes years to learn a position like that! It has taken ARod five seasons to become a good, not great third baseman. I wonder why I am skeptical?

MLB ERA

He won't be a great secondbaseman, but he could be an average second baseman. He does have one of the best infield coaches helping him. Schumaker will be the starting baseman this year...count on it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'll also count on the Cards not being relevant this season if that is true. He won't be a great second baseman, not a good one either.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Skip Schumaker made his second and third errors at second base while playing five innings in Sunday's game.
    Worse, he nearly got Albert Pujols hurt in a collision at first base by making a bad relay throw on a double-play ball. The Cardinals were quite happy about Schumaker's progress at second base, but it's just not an easy transition. The team still might be better off with Mark Grudzielanek at second and Schumaker battling for playing time in left.
    They are better off getting someone who has actually played second base. Looks like the Cards will start the season with Joe Mather at third and Schumaker at second. Just terrible but yet people like Peter gammons think they have a shot in the Central!!

MLB ERA

Yep, Mather looks like the leader at 3rd.

MLB ERA

It is official. Skip is the opening day second baseman. Hopefully his critics (reefer) will give him a little slack.

The Cardinals will carry Skip Schumaker north as their predominant second baseman.

The decision does not mean that Schumaker's move from the outfield should yet be considered a success, according to manager Tony La Russa, but his performance should be judged fairly.

"I think when you look at his improvement, I think he's been remarkable," La Russa said, aware that any error at second base will rekindle debate about the move. MORE CARDINALS
    CARDINAL BEAT: Daily blog of news and notes from spring training
    BIRD LAND: Derrick Goold's baseball blog
    SOUND OFF: Cards Talk forum
    CHATS: Joe Strauss Live
    P-D PHOTOS: Cardinals galleries
    P-D VIDEOS: See all the spring training videos
    P-D STORIES: Last 14 days of Cards coverage

"What happens is, balls will get through and there will be a spotlight. What we're going to be is fair," La Russa said. "I can't predict how everybody else is going to be. Just watch all the games and see the plays that get made. I think he'll end up making the plays he has to make and get better at it. If that becomes not true, we'll just go to Plan B."

For now, the Cardinals appear poised to carry two spare infielders from the group that includes Joe Thurston, Brian Barden and Brendan Ryan. Such an alignment puts both outfielders Joe Mather and Colby Rasmus on the opening day roster.

Thurston appears to have an edge for one infield spot because he is a lefthanded hitter, and that likely leaves the final decision to be made between Barden and Ryan.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I am a critic more of the front office than Schumaker himself. I will cut no slack for the front office.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123