Thread: Now Glaus Has Surgery?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cardinals Now Glaus Has Surgery?

Troy Glaus underwent surgery Thursday on his right shoulder and is expected to miss three months.
    Definitely a case of curious timing. Glaus, who did have problems with the shoulder last season, just talked to reporters last weekend and made no mention of any issues. It looks like he'll miss most or all of April, which would seem to put David Freese in line to start at third base for St. Louis. Brendan Ryan and Brian Barden are also options, and the Cards have talked about trying Joe Mather there. 2008 first-round pick Brett Wallace would be quite the long shot.
    What in the **** were you waiting for Troy?!? Twenty something days til pitchers and catchers report and you wait til now to have surgery? Glaus best be ready for the season or else the Cards should try and file a grievance or some shit. This is irresponsible and pathetic! Glaus could have had this surgery the day after the Cards season and be up and fully recovered by now. This kind of shit pisses me off!

MLB ERA

Re: Now Glaus Has Surgery?

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Wallace win the job in Spring Training. That kid can flat out hit.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I am shocked you aren't as pissed as I am!

MLB ERA

Glaus to miss 12 weeks. Sounds like not only will he not be ready for ST, he may not be 100% by the start of the season.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I am shocked you aren't as pissed as I am!
    It doesn't take much to piss you off. Why does it matter? Accoring to you, the Cards have zero chance at making the playoffs now anyways.

Seriously, I'd like to know more about it before getting too upset. There are questions that need to be answered. On the optomistic side, I'm really hoping that this opens the door for Wallace. If he isn't read for the Majors yet, then he needs some more time in the minors. Although, I'm excited to see how he does in Spring Training. Joe Mather is supposed to get some time learning the infield positions in Spring Training. If Wallace isn't ready yet, then Mather could be a good fill in at 3B.

MLB ERA

Also, the guy that we got from San Diego for Jim Edomonds, David Freese, is also a possibilty as mentioned in the article. Freese had a good year last year in AAA, he showed a lot of power. Although Brett Wallace is a much bigger prospect, and should be give nthe chance to pull a Pujols in ST. Like I said though, if it is apparent that he needs more time in the minors, then by all means he needs to be there so he can improve further.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights View Post
    It doesn't take much to piss you off. Why does it matter? According to you, the Cards have zero chance at making the playoffs now anyways.

Seriously, I'd like to know more about it before getting too upset. There are questions that need to be answered. On the optomistic side, I'm really hoping that this opens the door for Wallace. If he isn't read for the Majors yet, then he needs some more time in the minors. Although, I'm excited to see how he does in Spring Training. Joe Mather is supposed to get some time learning the infield positions in Spring Training. If Wallace isn't ready yet, then Mather could be a good fill in at 3B.

It does take just one thing to piss me off, stupidity I am pissed because the Cards are paying him a lot of money to play the game. When he waits four months to have surgery and will now miss the start ofthe season, he isn't do his job and he definitely is hurting the team.

And just trade Freese to the Giants already!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

A source told the St. Louis Post Dispatch that Troy Glaus' three-month recovery timetable following shoulder surgery is "extremely optimistic."
    General manager John Mozeliak called the initial timetable "an estimate until we know for sure." The newspaper notes that Glaus "experienced increasing discomfort near the shoulder during the season's final weeks but played through it, in part, to pursue his fifth 100-RBI season." Prospect David Freese is the leading in-house candidate to replace Glaus, but the Cardinals are reportedly pursuing Craig Counsell. At the very least, don't count on Glaus playing in April.
    Now you see why I am pissed?

MLB ERA

Actually, what you often see with injuries is the attempt to rehabilitate the injury before you open someone up. Often doctors take a "wait and see" attitude, to see how damage affects a player, and sometimes you just need inflammation to go down before you can do an imaging. There's no foul play here.

MLB ERA

I think Saber is right. He may have experienced pain in his shoulder at the end of last season, but that doesn't always mean you need surgery. Of course you want to avoid surgery if possible. Do you think the Cardinals didn't want Glaus to be healthy at the start of the season? Do you think Glaus didnm't want to play at the start of the last season on his contract. This season is importnat to Glaus if he wants to earn a big contract next year I doubt it will be with the Cards since they have 3 good prospects at 3B that are close to ML ready.