Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cards looking at Fuentes

MLB ERA

Rumor Cards looking at Fuentes

This is from yesterday...

LAS VEGAS — Representatives for free-agent pitcher Brian Fuentes, a lefthander the St. Louis Cardinals pursued at the trade deadline this past season, and the Cardinals have engaged in conversation about the closer as a possible fit for the Cardinals’ openings — and their wishes.

...the structure for a deal with the other closer (Fuentes) has offered the possibility of a two-year deal that could be the Cardinals liking at a salary they have recently said they could handle.
    Later last night

LAS VEGAS -- Things change quickly at baseball's Winter Meetings.

On Monday night, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak shot down any serious likelihood of his team signing free-agent left-hander Brian Fuentes. On Tuesday, two apparently imminent signings may have increased the chances again somewhat.

"I doubt it will change," Mozeliak said when asked about an earlier assertion that the Cardinals were out of the bidding on Fuentes. "But I don't know where that market is going yet."

It's that caveat that makes things a little more interesting. Because on Tuesday, the market appeared to move in a direction friendly to teams seeking closers.

According to multiple reports, Francisco Rodriguez has agreed to a three-year deal with the Mets that includes a vesting fourth-year option, worth a guaranteed $37 million. Meanwhile, MLB.com is reporting that the Indians are close to a two-year pact with Kerry Wood.

Both deals would seem to indicate a somewhat depressed market for closers, and that's a circumstance that could conceivably get the Cardinals back in on Fuentes. ESPN.com reported on Tuesday that Fuentes, formerly of the Rockies, "may end up with the Cardinals or Angels."
    Fuentes would be a great addition to the Cardinals pen. Is he worth giving up our first rounder?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Cards looking at Fuentes

After the amount of blown saves last year that costs the Cardinals a Wild Card, yes, he is worth the draft picks.

MLB ERA

7:52pm: Fuentes appears to be top priority for the Cardinals and manager Tony La Russa.

6:27pm: Ken Rosenthal has a source who expects Brian Fuentes to score a three-year, $33MM deal. That might be too pricey for the Cardinals, Brewers, and Tigers, leaving perhaps the Angels.
    $11Mil per year? wow, i'd rather sweeting the Ankiel offer for Putz. Whoah.....did I just say that? Me...supporting an Ankiel trade? Now I'm going to go and rip my guts out.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Ankiel is still a Cardinal and the Cards need to do something. The Cubs are building an All Star rotation so the Cards have to get that closer they desperately need. I like it because it keeps Perez in the setup role.

MLB ERA

Yeah, I don't see much of a choice now that Putz is gone. Having a good set up man behind Perez and Motte would help a lot.

MLB ERA

The more that I think about this, the more I dislike the idea of signing a closer for $11Mil plus for 3 years. Yeah, it wuld be great to have a good closer so that Perez can be a set up man. I just don't think we will need him for 3 years, and Fuentes won't sign for less years. Perez should be our closer of the future, and we shouldn't have to wait 3 years for that. In a couple of years, Perez could be a better closer than Fuentes. So we would be paying $11Mil for a set up man. Overpaying for an average closer could be a big regret in a couple of years.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Perez isn't ready though. He is only 22 years old and can benefit from watching Fuentes for three years. In three years he will be 25! Not even Fuentes was a closer at 25. The Cards need a definite answer at closer and Fuentes is that closer. The Cards lead the NL with 31 blown saves last year. I will repeat that. The Cards lead the NL with 31 saves last year!! That is horrendous! Three year is not a long time and if Fuentes does in fact regress in year three, they can move him to the setup role. They had no problem doing that with Izzy this past year. Perez is better off learning at the big league level in the setup role rather than just throwing him out there. LaRussa doesn't seem to think he is ready and I don't blame the Cards for not having faith in Perez. A 3.46 ERA in 41 games last year doesn't spell out lights out closer to me.

MLB ERA

I agree, Perez probably isn't ready yet. I would love to see them bring someoen in for a year or two, but an average closer like Fuentes at 3 years/$33Mil. I just don't know. The Cards overpaid for Izzy, and he made a lot less than that. I'd rather see them sign Hoffman, for a year or two. I know, the Cardinals don't think much of that idea, but overpaying for Fuentes may end up being a huge mistake. I'd rather see that money spent on a starter. Keep looking at possible trades for a closer, maybe we can find one that way.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Izzy made $8 million last year. Its worth the extra $3 million looking at 31 blown saves last year.

MLB ERA

yeah, but Izzy was a lot better when he was signed. they threw that $8Mil away. Just like $11 or 12 Mil could be thrown away in a couple of years on Fuentes. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the Cards sign Fuentes. It just seems like a lot for a bridge to Perez.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Kerry Wood is getting $10 million a year. Fuentes' season last year was 30 saves, 82/22 K:BB ratio and a 2.73 ERA. Its going to be hard finding better. With the Brewers losing Sheets and Sabathia, the Cards have to do something. Khalil Greene isn't going to cut it.

MLB ERA

I know what your saying, and I would love to see Fuentes on the team. although, we need another starter as well. We only have 4 starters, unless we bring someone up from the minors like Boggs. This is assuming that Carpenter will be healthy, and that is always a question. If we pay Fuentes $11 or 13Mil, then we cant afford another starter.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cards have plenty of OFers to get a starter and a second baseman.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Cards have plenty of OFers to get a starter and a second baseman.
    and a closer

i'm not worried about a second baseman. Kennedy and Miles will be fine. Starting pitching is always hard to get. Trade an outfielder for a closer, and sign Oliver Perez.

MLB ERA

We learned yesterday that Brian Fuentes is a priority for the Cardinals. Tonight, however, ESPN's Steve Phillips reports that the Cards' negotiations with Fuentes have slowed. Two new unknown suitors have entered the picture. Word was yesterday that Fuentes could snag a three-year, $33MM deal, even though Francisco Rodriguez was guaranteed only $4MM more. John Mozeliak told MLB.com's Matthew Leach the Cards would be extremely hesitant to commit $10MM+ to a reliever.
    Good! As much as I'd like to have Fuentes, I don't think he's worth over $10Mil per year. Very few closers are worth that much. I might think differently if we didn't have any young relievers in the system, but Chris Perez is coming along good. We need a veteran closer for a year or two. Come on J Mo.....go after Hoffman and Perez.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast